Unique vs. Functional

There have been a lot of discussions lately on modding where people say, “Oh this is better because it’s unique”.

Another post said something along the lines of that the person would prefer an NA 300zx over a turbo-honda (year 2000) because it’s unique and different or something. Not only would a turbo civic pull buses, but you could also make them handle pretty decent (At least as well as a z32). I know it’s FWD, but still. NA z32s are horribly slow and can’t really be made fast without a turbo engine swap.

Mostly though, there are a lot of people doing engine swaps, who are doing them just to be different. Like the vg30dett into the s30.

I just don’t understand why people want to spend a buttload of money, and years of time engineering swaps. ESPECIALLY when they can just get a motor that has a lot of documentation/support, and has been proved to make great power.

Also, dont even get me started on the “Euro-Trash” scene. A bunch of idiots trying to one-up each other by being different.

It just doesn’t make sense to me, that’s all. Since when is it about being different? I thought the whole point of cars was to enjoy driving?

So I guess there are plenty of peopl who disagree here, but I am gonna post a poll.

I am 100% with you. There’s usually a reason why nobody does these swaps: they’re absurd, expensive, or there are much better alternatives.

“being different” is a horrible idea to do a swap. it’s usually because it was a bad idea to begin with and/or there is no aftermarket support for the job.

if you have the resources (whether mechanically or financially) to pull off some abortion of a swap and it works, good for you.

congrats to those who pull it off or start a trend.

This is my sentiment…I enjoy working on cars but I love driving them even more.

I would rather have a car with a reliable platform that can be driven for many many moons without having to be fixed…that’s why I switch over to the 5S-FE. Decent amount of power, reliable, easy to work on.

I can’t vote…i’ve owned a 300ZX NA…gone the turbo swap route, and recently have been getting into Hondas too…so i can see all sides. I have zero regrets however regarding my turbo conversion project…so i’m not going to hate on people that go that route.

yeah, but it’s not like you attempted to put a 2jz into your 300zx

you put a motor that fits by design…nothing wrong with that

While doing something JUST to be different isn’t always logical, I do still think that the being different part should play a part. We don’t mod cars to have them look and drive like everyone else’s. We should strive to be creative when doing something that we truly enjoy.

However, there MOST CERTAINLY is a balance to this. Efficiency, effectiveness, preference, the passion to learn something new, and many other factors need to be considered.

So in the end, I think you need one more poll option. I don’t weigh being unique nearly as heavily as going with the cheap/effective route, but I still think it’s somewhat important.

EDIT - it also comes down to your end goal. If you’re building a track car, you obviously wouldn’t shove an RB into a fucking cavalier or some shit.

creativity should be left to aesthetics

the only reason to add mechanical parts to a car is to IMPROVE performance

Debatable. Creativity isn’t just based on how something looks, but how something works as well. Are you trying to tell me that people like newman don’t have to be creative to make their swaps work?

AKA Newman?

engineering in general DOES take a certain level of creativity. So, I agree.

HOWEVER, there are engine swaps and mods out there, that newman could have done, that would end up performing just as well. They would also be A SHITLOAD cheaper.

I guess when you have money to spend(aka waste), and a strong engineering background, it’s not an issue.

But, another downside to newman’s swap…IT IS STILL NOT DRIVABLE AFTER WORKING ON IT FOR YEARS

oh and on a similar but different not

Form should follow function

/thread.

Well to be fair, his project is incredibly in depth. From body work to engine work so of course it’s going to take time. he works on it when he’s free.

I do agree, though. I think newman just really believes in that engine and knows it really well.

There are gray areas with this subject is what I’m really trying to get at. The level of balance between creativity/uniqueness and efficiency is going to change from person to person, and for the goal of the project.

I think this is a really unfair thread…comparing apples to oranges. Turbo honda hatch or NA 300ZX…either way, a true auto enthusiast will not be unhappy. There are so many pro’s to both options, and so few cons. Given the choice between the two, i wouldn’t be able to make my mind up.

I think unique vs functional is too defined. yet a good project will have significant amounts of both.

I am talking STRICTLY mechanically.

On aesthetics, I think that unique is cool as long as it’s not a step backwards (like rusty hoods and garbage cans on the roof).

What do you gain from a unique engine swap anyways?

It’s basically just for growing your e-cock on the forums. What other reason is there. Auto enthusiasts are the only ones who know the difference. Even then, the only time anyone off the forums would know about it, was if you showed up at a meet or car show and popped the hood.

If I pull up next to someone in a 240sx at a light, I would have no idea whether it was a ca,sr,vg car. Only thing I give a crap about, is whether or not I get beat.

Personal accomplishment means nothing to you? lol I love taking on challenging projects. But like I’ve already said, there’s a balance to where it becomes complete nonsense. You COULD argue that doing anything at all to a car is useless crap. :gotme:

EDIT for your edit - I wouldn’t give a fuck if no one at all knew what I had accomplished, as long as I did it right and enjoy it accordingly. Kinda seems like you do things to your car in order to impress other people more than yourself. lol

yeah, I could agree that personal accomplishment is cool. I’ll give you that.

Doing performance mods to car isn’t useless. It might not be worth it to some people though. I don’t do a lot of mods myself.

edit: personally though. I am a bigger fan of a well setup car (like neonglh’s evo), rather than a car with a ton of money shoved into it. I could see how the engineers in the group could have different opinions though.

edit to your edit: I don’t do much to my cars at all. My current one has a CHEAP and FUNTIONAL short shift plate installed on the cable transmission, along with a boost gauge. My last car had an intake and factory option wheels which were lighter, wider, and taller. The only really modded car I owned was my turbo civic. That was a ground-up build. And at that, it was a homemade d16 turbo with spray painted body work.

people have been doing swaps long before forums. I doubt anyone does it JUST to post it online.

personally, I have always wanted to put an sr into an s10. and when the sr got dumped into my lap I went for it. Granted I am not in the best place financially to do so I am making due.