Update on my beater legacy - 22 psi FP Green still no intercooler

Well my legacy is officially no longer $1000 challenge legal. After running a stock STi turbo at 20-22 psi non-intercooled for months we put an FP Green on it with an external wastegate setup.

I tuned it up to 22 psi with no intercooler using the Coolingmist progressive meth controller for my methanol injection kit and at that point it crushes the turbo inlet hose because it’s sucking so hard. I can’t fit a 3" inlet on this application so we’ll sleeve the tube to keep it from crushing.

I’ve been using my beater as a test for pushing the limits of 93 octane + meth injection with no intercooler and the stock fuel system. The fuel system is still stock at this point…330cc injectors, stock fpr, lines, rails, and pump. I’m just running a LOT of meth to compensate.

I’ve been running the car on the Green for a week and a half now and the car actually runs better than ever. My MAF maxes at 8 psi and the fueling is pretty much done on the meth controller but you can’t even feel the transition.

I’m working with Coolingmist on a new product which will allow me to dial the fueling in on the meth controller with even greater accuracy so we’ll see how that pans out.

In the meantime the car feels pretty strong. I’m still like a little kid with the external wastegate dump. This soundclip doesn’t do any justice to how loud it is, but it sounds pretty cool.

Sweet, we should run again. We were just about dead even last time, so you should kill me now. If this is the same Legacy.

Same car. I just took the stock STi turbo off and put the green on with the external wastegate uppipe and dump and retuned the meth controller.

Neat stuff Mike. We all know I’m not a huge fan of meth, but certainly cool to see others screwing around with it :tup:

fUCK ya… Nice

what type of numbers is this setup making? estimated?

total investment?

Well I was under the $1000 challenge rules for the whole car with mods (except for my coilovers which I would have taken off for the competition). I have exhaust, meth kit, cheapo FCD, used STi bypass valve and I had the used stock sti turbo on it.

Then I put a 1300 dollar turbo on it LOL. The external wastegate and uppipe weren’t necessary, but I’ve wanted an external dump for a long time and it certainly doesn’t hurt. Can you get called a ricer for running a dumping wastegate? I guess so

My car ran with a few stock STis on the old $1000 setup and my car is heavier. The legacy body is bigger in every dimension plus I have sunroof etc. My car is obviously faster now, but I don’t know how much yet. I’ll have to play with a stock STi to find out.

Ricer. Got an APC windshield banner too?

:stuck_out_tongue:

How expensive is meth? I.E. if you wouldn’t need meth if you had for a intercooler, how long until an intercooler would pay for itself? I understand that that’s not the point of your mad scientist experiment, just wondering.

i’ll be a test dummie if you like

my car is all stock except a KN drop in

lmk i live right by you guys :slight_smile:

That car is so wrong on so many levels Mike. I can’t believe you put a Green on it now.