Upgrading CPU....

Well right now i have a 1.6GHz Centrino Pentium-M CPU what can i upgrade to? its a SL7EG `1600/2M

When upgrading what should i look for?

Are you upgrading a laptop?

what is the socket type…that’s what you’ll need to know…

That is an old CPU bro…how old is the computer?

they become outdated so fast…yea its a laptop and its about 3 years old. i think my cpu took a shit. so why not upgrade when i can lol

and its a 478 Pin socket micro somthin
its out of a 6510gz gateway

if the computer boots then the cpu is fine…Desktop or laptop.

i have never had luck upgrading CPUs. Seems a few months later I just wind up buying a whole new computer. Fast ram, mobo and disk speed. All goes hand in hand.

FYI - 3 yrs is a long time in laptop years. Depending upon usage, I would start to worry about drive failure. If anything that’s what might have actually taken a crap.

well I would always keep backups…it only takes once before people realize this.

let me tell you what wrong with it lol…
I have been on the phone with gateway for about 3 years lol…anyways here are the problems
There is a charge light on the computer. One night last week it decided to go off out of the blue. so i started to take it apart to see whats wrong. i thought it was the d/c port. When i looked at it it seemed like the solder on one of the d/c port was bad. i fixed that problem.
Plugged it in using the a/c adapter. and it started to boot…the first time it booted through to the startup window where i can see my desktop…now ever since then it has never been able to boot for more then 3 sec without me having to disconnect the a/c adapter and waiting 4 hr. then trying it agian and same thing happened.
So i BROUGHT a BRAND NEW Motherboard
I called gateway to check if the computer would turn on just with the a/c adapter and no battery. They told me yes…and i explained to them taht both the new mother board and the current one i have had the same problem…

So picture this…
I only had the mother board and the battery installed and connected to the a/c adapter. the charge light will come on, If i disconnect the battery the chargelight does not come on nor does it boot up with the a/c still plugged…

Charge light ON = With Battery and A/C Adapter
CHarge light OFF = With Just A/C Adapter
Charge light OFF = With Battery 1/2 Charged Battery

So with just the battery and a/c adapter and the chargelight on
I unplug the a/c and battery install the cpu and plug the a/c and battery back in no charge light…what do you think is the problem

does the computer boot? If you don’t have the CPU in it won’t boot at all. Does the computer beep at all?

Prob not worth it to fix it. Save 500 and buy a new dell

^^^

Ding, winner. Unless it’s under warranty, the cheap prices of laptops doesn’t make it feasible to fix them in most cases.

Well the processor is upgraded to the fullest extent…meaning you aren’t going to find a better socket 478 laptop processor. I’d get a new laptop…

Well if I were going to keep throwing money at it, my next target would be a new battery.

But that’s foolish. Just buy a new laptop. Part this one out on ebay if you want.

I wouldn’t fuck with it too much.

I have a dell with a 1.6 pentium M, and it runs GREAT with 2gb of ram in it…

Techbargains.com, you can get a lappy for 400 bucks…

Sell your shitbox on ebay to offset the costs…

why replace one shitbox with another…400 bucks will get you the bare minimum. 800-1500 will get you a solid laptop

lol the laptop does boot…im assuming its the battery/cpu…but who the fucks nows…i cant get any decent amount for it on ebay. so im trying to see if its worth it to fix it. i have ordered a cpu which is like $20. why not give it a shot.

anyone has a spare battery i can use? lol that would fit it?

I actually might. I have a gateway laptop in the basement with a failed HDD. Everything else still worked when the hard drive gave up the ghost.

Hmm, want to buy the whole thing off me? Are laptop hard drives universal?

This thing is a Pentium M 1.6 IIRC. Ha. It’s probably the same damn laptop.

Yeah, buy mine. Put your HDD into mine, keep yours as a parts beast. PM me if you want it.

Laptop drives are pretty much universal…they even will work in the playstation 3.

Alright then. The only other thing wrong with mine is the charging port was getting “loose.” You had to hold the cord just right to get it to charge. I just remembered that.

So between the two you ought to be able to get it working again, and have spares.

Lemme know. :tup:

uh, core2duo running vista…

Thats plenty for about anybody…