Using Royal Purple 85W140 LSD oil in your VLSD ?

Hey guys I got this stuff Royal Purple synthetic stuff brand new 85W140 L.S.D. Oil it says on the 1L jugs, can I use this stuff in my VLSD ? Let me know thanks.

I belive the diff requires oil with GL-5 adictive or somthing…or maybe im confused between what went into my tranny vs my diff…Thats great stuff u got for that special diff :wink: Theres not much to a diffrential a lot of oils would work fine but deffinatly the royal purple so go for it

it says something about gl-4 and gl-5 standards on it but what I am wondering is it ok to go 85W140 ? because someone said before that stock spec is 85W90, W90 and W140 is a huge difference in viscousity

stock vlsd doesnt need shit, it’s a sealed unit. You’ll be fine with any major gear oil.

I believe you are incorrect.

I believe you are incorrect.[/quote]

i belive i am not.

the FACTORY VLSD is a SEALED unit, you do not need a LSD aditive. Just normal gear oil will suffice use the search function.

^^^^^^ Lucky wins

The silicone based stuff that expands and locks the wheels in the VLSD is inclosed in a completly diff part of the diff than the oil thats regularly changed.

thanks guys but my question was… is it ok to use 85W140 grade ? if not what grades can i use ?

i’d stick with nissan’s recommended fluid. I belive 85w90

where can i get some royal purple engine oil?

yes i get that you like nissan fluids… so noone knows if its ok to use ?

yes i get that you like nissan fluids… so noone knows if its ok to use ?[/quote]

ahahahahahahaha like nissan fluids, no no no. you misunderstand. Shit i run 20w50 and any gear oil i really see. I mean USE WHATS RECOMMENDED, there is no sence in puttin in a thicker oil, it will be hard as shit to drive in the winter.

thanks, does w140 mean when it heats up it will be thick hence more heat soak the diff ?

It will be thicker at a hotter temperature lubricating the gears a bit better. How ever i dont think the average driver would notice wether theres 85w90 or 85w140 in their diffrential…so what ever u got just throw it in wether its 85w90 or 85w140. Provided its GL-5 and dont ever worry about the diff again until your next change is due. Your tranny and engine oil choices are FAR FAR more important than what we put in our diffs…

eek :slight_smile: