Need to shut a friend up..

stock s14 ka24de has no lsd and is one wheel peel (only one wheel lays rubber on a burn out), if there is an lsd both wheels will lay rubber.

Yes, The HICAS cars came with a VLSD, but i dont know about the non-HICAS ones, But you are correct, if the car only spins 1 tire when you drop the clutch, no VLSD.

Some S14s come with VLSDs.

mine did

any marking on the diff or anything to point out the vlsd? (whats the v stand for?)
I just got my 240 and love it, i just live with this guy and need to shut him up with “physical proof” as he calls it. Its quite annoying as he brings it up every chance he gets.

V stands for Viscous, its the type of LSD, it uses fluid shearing to lock up. Most factory LSD’s are Viscous. O and I thought you said S13, I don’t think S14’s had HICAS. What trim level is the car that would help too.

there should be a yellow or orange sticker on the differential cover that says “limited slip gear oil only”. if it doesnt, lift both rear wheels off the ground, put the car in neutral, and spin one wheel. if the other goes the same way, then you have limited slip

its an SE, built in 94

94 = S13

the 94 s13s were only convertibles

i think the amount of heatsink fins on the casing can determine a VLSD from an open one.(?)

if there are no stickers…

built in 94= s14
early s14 were built then as was mine

and mine has lsd

What LSD did the 180SX come with?

Viscous.

I may be wrong, but I’m pretty sure the 5 bolt S14’s came with LSD.

All canadian S14 came with a VLSD. In the USA it was an option, typicaly the base USA model had no VLSD and the SE model would have VSLD.

To be sure what your car came with from the factory you can decode your VIN.
http://garage.projectraine.com/content_guides/240_vinmid/vinmid01.html

I did this with my car and it was correct.

thanks guys, you’ve been a great help, now friend can shut his mouth up and stay out of my passenger seat. lol

btw? how well do these vlsds stand up to abuse? burnouts and drifting gotta be hard on em and well…i plan on going thru a few sets of tires this summer.

x2

My 4-bolt base s14 had an lsd.

And with my experiences, stock Nissan lsd’s hold up pretty well. Or at least compared to other cars like fc’s.

Correct me if i’m wrong, but has anyone noticed you can still do a 2 tire peelout (foot off the brake) with an open LSD?

In my fwd talon I could also spin both. Not sure if rwd open diff is the same deal…

front and rear work differently i think. Cause i could light up both tire with my old integra, but it had an open diff.

any recommendations on diff fluid? does royal purple make a diff oil for the vlsd? or should i go with oem nissan?

Redline? Royal purple? or gm synchromesh? which would you recommend for my tranny?

was gonna go with royal purple, but the gm stuff worked good in my honda, but this isnt a honda.

i bought GM Syncromesh for my tranny. Is this an alright fluid for sr20det tranny’s?