Does it have VLSD or not?

Does anyone know what numbers would show on a '98 240sx SE to tell if it has VLSD?
I heard that the last # on the 18 digit trim # has to be a C or F on a '95 and a A or D on a '96

not sure about the number in the vin, but if it’s a canadian car, it will have a VLSD for sure.

If it’s not Canadian, jack up the car, spinn one of the rear wheels. If the other one turns the same direction, you have VLSD, if it turns backwards, you have an open diff…

Well its an american car. Im goin to look at it tomorrow. I think theres a way of tellling from the vin# or what ever the trim # is? I also heard there may be some code under the hood which would tell. not sure?

you should be able to tell pretty easily by just driving it. 1 wheel peel rules!

look at the Model ID number that stamped on the plate in the engine bay. The last spot should have a letter. In my case it’s ‘A’ (and I have a 95 240 which is a canadian model).

go to some dirt or grassy area and do a burn out. then look at ur tracks if there is only one mark its an open. if 2 then vlsd.

That is not a 100% test… the VLSD could be blown (now open) or the open diff could have equal torque going to each wheel… spinning them both.

Nissan does not include the LSD in the VIN.

Your axle code will still be RC41 whether you have VLSD or not.

Look at the diff from underneath. Look for an orange VLSD sticker.

Also, look for cooling fins on the rear cover of the diff. Not 100%, but it’s a good place to start. Non VLSD do not have cooling fins. Well, they’re not supposed to, but I’ve seen open diffs with cooling fins for some reason. I’ve also seen an 89 S13 with a VLSD.

Jacking it up and spinning is the easiest way to tell.

yea look for the sticker

Not sure if it is the same for S14’s, but on S13’s the ‘sticker’ is pointed at the the rear drivers wheel,

I’ll just repeat what I said earlier, since people obviously don’t read:

look at the Model ID number that stamped on the plate in the engine bay. The last spot should have a letter. In my case it’s ‘A’ (and I have a 95 240 which is a canadian model).

edit: http://garage.projectraine.com/main_pages/guides02.html
click on “VIN / MODEL ID DECODING (ALL 240SX)” pic

i have an 89 with a vlsd i put it in though…

honestly theo is right and its the easiest way to tell, get the ass end in the air and spin the damn wheels. if its american your probably outta luck, kouki is still sick tho? (Y)