s13 lsd question

does all of the canadian model 240sx s13’s (1989-1993) come with factory lsd’s? i was reading up on a webpage (http://importnut.net/lsdswap.htm), and apparently lsd’s from a z32, q45, j30 or s14’s would work on the s13. i hear people selling vlsd’s off of s13’s, is there a difference between the vlsd and the lsd’s that are on z32’s and the other nissan cars i have mentioned (above)?

89-90 have no lsd.

The lsd’s from other cars will have a different ratio for final drive. Proper research should be done before putting one of those others in your car.

I have heard though, of someone putting a z32 in there 240 with good results. www.yahoo.com is your friend. I found an article on that from yahoo, some while back.

To be on the safe side, it would be better to just put a 91-93 vlsd.

that’s how i found the link mentioned above

:lol: be nice if I read your whole post.
I’ll read that link, but did I answer your question?

After reading that article.

Being the one I took a look at a while back :wink:. Its not worth the trouble. Yes the 90 300zx has same final drive ratio, but why would you go through the extra trouble of changing the cover and bushings?

Stick with the 91-93 vlsd. Just my advice, but I would not go through something that may cause me headaches.

I hope I helped some?

Andrew.

hrmmmm well what type of LSD u want depends on how much “work” ur gona be making ur LSD use…

If u want an LSD for drifitng… the oem Viscous LSD probably isn’t your Best choice…

There are plenty of read ups on diff. types of LSD’s so I’ll spare the write on the types…

A Viscous has 2 downfalls…
a.) It needs to be warmed up before It can start to perform it’s job
b.) Once it overheats it’s essentially useless (feels like an open diff)

Now if u want a “cheap” (mind you that Kaaz and cusco clutch type lsd’s go for 1K and up) option for an LSD just to experiment now U should probably look at getting yourself the OEM VLSD found in the 91-93 240sx. It’s probably the easiest to install and if u look in the tech part of the forum There’s a sticky on how to install it.

I’m actually in the same boat as you right now (90 240sx fastback) so I’m looking at getting a VLSD if I can find one for cheap…

Cheers
:smiley:

yo, thank you guys, especially the idiot (box) :slight_smile: jk jk… i just wanna know if the vlsd is different than the ones that are offered in the z32, q45 etc. if they were clutch type, i would prefer them OVER vlsd’s

ahhh, now I see what your doing, and here I am trying to talk you out of it.

I wish I knew the answer to that question, I haven’t read anything about those diff’s beind lsd of vlsd. I think we have a FAQ on our hands! Great point you’ve brought up, because if they are clutch type this would be another alternative to droping huge amounts of money on aftermarket.

Andrew.

that’s what i was trying to say. anyway, it might not be as economic as it’s cut out to be. the two input shafts that are needed (parts number mentioned in the above webpage) to use with q45, z32 diffs etc, are 220 and 260 bucks NEW from nissan… i personally phoned a nissan dealer for a quote early in the afternoon today. BUT, when the nissan parts guy quoted me the prices, the parts numbers are referring to j30 input shafts… so i’m ASSUMING that the j30 input shafts are in actual fact, essentially the same as the ones found on 240sx lsd carriers. if that’s the case, all you need is a j30 lsd carrier from the scrap yard and it would bolt onto the s13 without a hitch… i’d have to get one to see first… the parts guy also advised me that not all j30’s were equipped with lsd’s. it was a factory installed option at the time

if i had the extra money, i would definately go with cusco or kaaz lsd’s because of their selection. you could get either 1 way, 1.5 or 2 way. but for oem, i would assume the factory lsd is only of the 1 way species, which is LOCK ON POWER ONLY.

CRAP, after looking at the above mentioned webpage again, i just found the answer to my question:

z32’s come with vlsd’s too, BLAH :frowning:

:frowning:
Oh well, time well spent though.

ah well… i’m still gonna go grab me a j30 lsd though, and see if i can use it… all i need to know is, whether the ratio is the same as that of the s13

do you know if ALL s14’s come with vlsd’s?!?!??!

I’m pretty sure all Canadiand S14’s cames with the VLSD. In the US, it was an option, but here it came on even the SE.

Why did Canada get a better deal? Nissan thought it would sell better because of our winter conditions.

Hmm, I’m going to go to a parking lot and check that out :wink:

Yes, only Canada got the cool foglights, and its because we are better.

All S14s have Vlsd

A good kouki S13 VLSD will run you around $300 I think.

so are you guys 100% positively sure that ALL canadian model (since we rock) s14 models all come with factory installed VLSD?!?!?!?!?!?!? need to be 100% sure cause i could get one right now

cool