V8 S10?

i suck at spelling
didnt get very far on the questions i wanted anwsers for.
anyone done this? if so or of not i got some more questions
gas mileage be better? on the V8 coming from fullsize to small truck
reliablibilty?, not so much motor itself running but all the stress from the V8 on 4 or 6 cly parts.
its early 90s, so NYS inspection and registration be a problem? i’ll post up what im looking at next

this is it, seems it was done right, found on another fourm out of state.http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/87conquestTSi/s10.jpg

Engine is all new just back from the machine shop
350 ci bored .30 to make it a 355 ci
Steel Crank
Flat top pistons
515 lift Lunati roller camshaft and hydraulic lifters
64cc Double Humped heads all rebuilt with 202 valves
Comp Cams roller rockers
Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
Holly 650 Double pumper carb
Edelbrock Elite Valve covers, Breathers, and air cleaner
Accel Plug wires
Chrome Alternator and Dip stick
Electric fan

Exhaust

Headman Headers
Brand new 2 ½ in. exhaust
Flowmaster mufflers

Transmission

350 Turbo
3500 Stall converter
B&M shift kit
Manual valve body
B&M Z Gate ratchet shifter
Trans Cooler

Body and Frame

Brand New paint
No Rust!!
No body waves
Lowered about 2 ½ in.
2 ½ in. hood scoop
Brand New Tonneau Masters Tonneau cover
Roll pan
Clear Tail lights
Cragar Street Star Wheels
New BFGoodrich Radial T/A tires
Grant GT steering Wheel
Auto meter Sport Comp Tach
Oil Pressure and Temperature gauges
Lakewood Traction Bars
3.73 rear end gears
Spool

Since we have to put a price…ummm 4500.00 or trade ect

buy a carbed 350. and we can make it faster them ForumulaLs1’s car. :lol:

than you can race him from a roll and a dig, and itll turn into a 10 page drama thread :rofl:

FMFS10 4L

And for fucks sake choko, i think your right, this is the year of the s-10 :stuck_out_tongue:

www.v8s10.org
www.wnytrucks.com

Its not hard, they dropped the 4.3 in the trucks, and the 4.3 is a 350 minus two cylinders, same bore, same stroke, just shorter. Itll fit no problem, its probably one of the most popular mods for those trucks

Stresses on s-10 parts when going to V8…

well since the f bodys got the same tranny and rear end and they did pretty well with em, its not really a problem UNLESS your pushing some good numbers. SO many parts are interchangeable between the two models it isnt even funny

Gas mileage question…

seriously, noone drops a v8 into an s-10 to get better gas mileage.

feel free to pm me if you have any other questions, id be glad to help

Me choko and Slopoke are minitruck officiandos :stuck_out_tongue:

I go back to VT to get my V8 S-10 this weekend :smiley: I have a 1992 S-10 with a carb 350 and a th400. In Vermont it is only a visual inspection, I bet if you get a 350 TBI motor from a fullsize you can pass emissions. if you need any help or have any questions I am willing to help.

nice, but do you think that truck i posted will be a decent daily driver? vs the conquest

if you are going to drive it thru the winter no, you are looking at 10-12mpg, if you were to get an overdrive trans such as a th700r4 then it would get better, if you drive at highway speeds then you are going to be burning even more gas based on the th350 and the 3.73. you might get sick of the manual valve body too.

if you don’t care about mpg then its a good buy other then the idea of possible driving thru winter.

I will let you know of my mpg coming from VT, 570 street avenger, 350, th400, 3.23 gears.

hello and welcome to the early 90s

seriously, just go on the v8 s10 forums and just buy one that’s already done if you want one. might even be able to find an LT1 or LS1 for a decent price.

I had a S-10 Blazer with pretty much the same motor and tranny as the one your thinking about. I half-assed a lot of things when I did it which ultimately lead to a lot of broken parts. It was a learning experience.

My biggest problem was the rear end. The stock S-10 rear end just couldn’t take the abuse and was the weak link on two seperate occasions. It looks like this one might have some work done to it. I like the idea and might build another down the line some day.

That truck looks good. I wouldn’t say it’s done right for street thought. For the track fine. For street use I wouldn’t consider the 3500 stall, 515 Lunati roller, and most importantly the spool to be very street friendly.

[quote=“ly555is,post:9,topic:28551"”]

seriously, just go on the v8 s10 forums and just buy one that’s already done if you want one. might even be able to find an LT1 or LS1 for a decent price.

[/quote]

:word:

drop an ls1 into a truck like that with a 6 speed and bolt ons and your set for 11’s.

Despite what people say, EFI is alot less of a hassle than carb. More wiring and space, yes, but when was the last time you had to tune your injectors??

[quote=“choko,post:3,topic:28551"”]

buy a carbed 350. and we can make it faster them ForumulaLs1’s car. :lol:

[/quote]

doubtful :slight_smile:

thanks for the feed back, im not sure what to get next seeing the quest is gone, something RWD with some power. not looking for an F-body…ever, but i do like the idea of the V8s10 i will look on them fourms and no, this would never be driven in the winter.

dumb questions
what is spool? all i can think of is turbo spooling lol
and manual valve body? i think i know what it is

Buy that truck.

spooled rear end is where both wheels are fully locked all the time, hard time turning

manual valve body= Transmission

Manual valebody means you select what gear it goes into (you have to shift) ive always loved em. start in first, wind it out, bump it up to second, than third etc. etc. ITs like a manual but without the clutch

spooled = posi? and i thought thats what manual valve body was, this would basically suck for a DD then

a spool is NOT a posi

keep reading up, grasshopper :tup:

lmao, I was thinking the same thing. I thought everyone knew about that swap.

I had a '85 Astro van with a mild 350 in it. (Fun to have a V8 astro van in the high school partying days.)

That truck would make an annoying daily driver if ur not used to that kind of ride( loud, high stall, short gears, harsh shifts, alot of shit prolly rattles).
Another idea I always liked was, to KEEP the 4.3 a turbocharge it. Just as much power as a V8 (if not faster…depending) and lighter as well.