VAG Nerds, help me out.

Wait, so they don’t have a bolt holding them on like other cars requiring something like a 10mm socket? (I’ve had a Subaru these past 6 years which requires a 10mm to remove them)

I need to order a torx set as I don’t have any and have never needed them.

A good torx set will be very helpful for german cars :slight_smile:

Any suggestions on a set to go with? I used to buy Craftsman but now that Sears is taking a shit I’m afraid of not having anywhere to take my broken tools back to other than shipping them back. Even if I can’t have a warranty like Craftsman, I’d love to find a nice set with a decent name. (Aside from Snap-On and Mac)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004WK9I3O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

^ I ordered that and even though I haven’t done many repairs to my CC I’ve used it every time I have had to work on it.

I have the long version of those Neiko triple square (XZN) bits for doing axles, they are great and I wouldnt hesitate to buy them again.

They likely have a torx set as well.

Both would be handy if you plan on getting a VW. Likely you’d use torx way more than the triple square though.

Dan

• Updated - - -
        @JayS what are you using XZN for on the CC? Ive only run into them for my GTI seats so far. I loosen them every year when I put my spare OE carpet over the stock one for winter.

Dan

Rear wheel bearing was held on with a monster one, rear caliper bracket uses them as well. At least on the CC.

Really threw me when I first went to work on it because I’d never even seen them before. “None of my bits fit this…FUCKING GERMANS!”

Ahh ok. I havent done brakes or bearings on my '13 yet. But come to think of it the rear swaybar was held on with the XZN (I think).

My last GTI was a 03 and the wifes Allroad is an 05, so its mostly hex and torx.

Dan

I did not even realize the difference there with the Torx and Triple Square. Should I be getting both then? Talking about a 2013 GTI. I was thinking just the Torx was needed.

Youd prob be just fine starting with a torx set for the 13 GTI. I have 73k on my 13 GTI and have only needed triple square for the swaybar, which I swapped for a larger one, and the seats.

Dan