Valve cover and gasket

I’m going to be pulling my valve cover and send it down to chuck to get polished.

My question is should I just buy a new OEM gasket or is there a better one I sould get to try and help againts gasket breakdown and leaks. Also from my understanding when you do a head gasket you have to use new bolts, is this the same with a valve cover? or do you just use the originals? I never had to replace one before and it seems pretty strait forward. I just want to see if there are any little detalis I don’t know about.

Oh and my current one is starting to leak some thats why I asked about a better one, or a better brand to use.

Any info or suggestions would be appricieated.

No ricer remarks or BS comments please. I’m getting sick of seeing them in threads asking for help.

Thanks

you can use the same bolts for the valve cover. the head bolts in stock form are torque to yield and can only be torqued once.

So do I just tighten the bolts down as much as I can or torque them to spec. I hate valve covers because of them leaking, I know when Brian was doing my exhaust we were talking about the slight leake and I believe he suguested I just try to tighten down the cover some more. Yet at the same time I know there are tourqe specs, so thats why I ask.

i know on my jetta it was like a rubber gasket. I never replaced it and it never leaked.

I just tightened it down, never had a problem

so you are saying I should just tighten them sumsofbitches down and not worry about using a tq wrench…

if gasket is rubber reuse,just snug the bolts or 18 INCHPOUNDS!

ok is the gasket isn;t reusable, any brands you recommend for a GM?

is it rubber?

Use a torque wrench!

On my car I don’t think so.

i think it is,which means u can reuse!

I would recommend reusing the factory rubber gaskets too.

I believe Shag might have some suggestions reusing rubbers, but I wouldn’t subscribe to that advice! :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

oh ok cool, there isn;t any kit of gasket sealant like whne you do thermostat or anything I have to use is there?

not ifr its rubber!

you reinstall it with new gasket advance auto and 12 inchpounds of torque ( a good snug turn with a 10mm socket) simple… no need to bust out a toque wrech on a valve cover

1/4 air ratchet>

did you ever try to remove a broken bolt sheared off in a aluminum head ? that there is not a smart thing to use … hell it is not a case harden bolt

Welp I got it in and the oil leak cleaned up. Thanks to Chuck (custom and sound) for the polishing work, and thansk to Brian (pewterss) for the couple questions I called him on (there was just a lot of oil and it cleaned up :slight_smile: ).

The picture doesn;t do it justice, and I can;t find my meatal polish other wise I would have cleaned the intake and the cover…

******Edit - the uploader isn;t working so I will have to wait to post the picture up. I keep getting a fatal error when I try to use the uploader and the Uploader in the “manage attachments” :dunno:

Now that the uploader is back here is the valve cover Custome and sound did for me. Next the altenator will probably be getting done. I will be replacing the hoses to once the weather warms up…

http://www.pittspeed.com/uploaded/sns.jpg
thats better