vents blow air when off

Sometimes the HVAC vents on the dash of my truck will just randomly start blowing air out even when the right knob is in the off position. Its always only the dash vents and never the floor or defroster vents.

The speed of the air depends on which number the left knob is turned to and the air is warm or cool depending on where the center knob is turned to. I can turn the blower speed up or down and it changes the speed like it should if the vents were actually on.

Lately it seems that sometimes when I turn the position switch to the floor heat position nothing happens for a bit and then heat will come out.

Its sometimes getting harder to stop the vents from blowing air when its supposed to be off.

I would like to know what is causing this to happen because its rather annoying and Id like to stop it from happening.

Could the switch panel be at fault?

If it’s set to floor then it’s on. Your left knob should be fan speed (1,2,3,4) center is temperature, and right side is position. The vent position needs to be set to off for it to be completely off. Some vehicles you have to put on recirculate also, to prevent air being forced into the cowl to blow through the vents.

Yeah, I know it needs to be off. The problem is that its blowing air randomly when its in the off position.

It also doesnt always blow out of the position its supposed to sometimes like if I set it for the floor it still blows out the cent.

it’s because your blower box is made by ford, and sucks balls!

Atleast my truck isnt made out of plastic

I’ll give you $100 for it.

Not gonna happen.
I love the truck and this is just a minor annoyance that Id like to fix.

Some of the moving parts under the dash might be hanging up. I see that every once in a while where I work. There is rarely a problem with the control panel on something as new as your truck in my experience. I would try and find the exploded view of the underdash components and see if you can check the different parts for proper operation.

It seems like the part where the controls are on is sealed so I dont think anything can be getting in the way like that.

I heard that if you put a blower on it, this won’t happen anymore.

+rep :rofl

FUUUUUUUUUUU

“you must spread rep around…”

your air box has trap doors in it that direct air and have foam tape that helps to seal the door’s when shut. the problem with yours is either the trap door doesn’t shut all the way due to a bad cable or acuator. OR the foam tape is missing/damaged/worn which is leading to a leak, which in turn means you are feeling air.

or it could be your blower motor resistor is bad if your truck has one

plus my car doesn’t blow air on me when i turn off the fan and i already have a supercharger on mine!

To me it doesnt seem like a leak because I can turn up the speed of the air coming out.
The blower speed knob is separate from the position knob (where off is). Im really thinking its electrical.

Im not sure if it has a resistor or not.

Can you try and explain that better it doesn’t really make sense? Does your “leak” seem to increase and decrease in volume/intensity with an increase in the speed of the blower motor. If so it’s probably a trap door hanging up. Please provide more detailed information.

It turns on and blows air all by itself. Sometimes it turns the ac and recirc lights on too.

If I turn the speed knob the speed of the air coming out increases or decreases despite being off. So yeah, the blower is on.

so its kinda like old bags, they fart and they don’t even realize they are farting

thanks for your help Pete

so your blower motor will randomly turn on then?

yes