very interested to see how this turns out

Jury deliberates case of Internet hoax that led to deadly shooting

RIVERHEAD, New York – The tragic story that began with a sick joke on the Internet is coming to a close as a Riverhead, New York, jury deliberates the fate of 53-year-old John White, on trial for killing a friend of his son.
http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2007/US/law/12/20/chun.myspaceshooting/art.john.white.jpg John White claims he feared a racial attack when he shot Daniel Cicciaro last August.

White is accused of shooting 17-year old Daniel Cicciaro in the face on August 9, 2006, outside his Long Island home after a heated exchange with Cicciaro and his friends.
Cicciaro died that night, and White was arrested. He is charged with second-degree manslaughter.
The trial has brought out allegations of racism and revenge. White, who is African-American, maintains he was protecting his family from a white lynch mob and says the gun discharged accidentally. Prosecutors disagree, saying White should have called police but instead deliberately chose to confront the boys outside his home with a .32-caliber Beretta.
Riverhead police say this all started with an Internet prank sent from the MySpace page of White’s son, 20-year-old Aaron. Under his screen name, a threatening message was sent to a teenage girl who was a close friend of Daniel Cicciaro.
The night Cicciaro was killed, he was at a party with the girl when they spotted Aaron White. According to court testimony, Cicciaro became angry and White was asked to leave. Aaron White testified that after he left the party, Cicciaro and a male friend called him on his cell phone, saying to him, “Get back to this party you n****r.”
Aaron White says he then went home and received more calls from Cicciaro and his friends, telling him they were coming to his house to kill him. He then woke his father, who grabbed his handgun and waited for the boys to arrive.
http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/.element/img/2.0/mosaic/base_skins/baseplate/corner_wire_TL.gif

http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/.element/img/2.0/mosaic/base_skins/baseplate/corner_wire_BL.gif

Police say that around 11 p.m., Cicciaro and four friends arrived at White’s house. John and Aaron White walked out of their house, both holding guns, and had a heated exchange with Cicciaro and his friends. John White asked the boys to leave.
Then, police say, John White shot Cicciaro at point-blank range. Cicciaro died in the emergency room that night.
But the rape threat that sparked the confrontation between Daniel Cicciaro and Aaron White was not real. Under testimony, Aaron White’s friend Michael Longo admitted he logged on to Aaron’s MySpace page and sent the threat to the girl as a joke.
Daniel Cicciaro’s mother, Joanne Cicciaro, says her son was trying to protect the girl. “The thing is, that night, Daniel believed Aaron threatened to rape a girl that was like his little sister,” Cicciaro said.
During the trial, which lasted three weeks and ended Tuesday, John White broke down in tears. He testified, “I didn’t mean to shoot this young man. This young man was another child of God.”
White’s attorneys say that racism lies at the heart of the confrontation and that John White feared Cicciaro and his friends were going to kill his son.
“You had this group of white men who felt that they were going to defend this young white woman from a black man who said these things about her, and they felt justified to do so because of his race,” said defense attorney Fred Brewington.
But Daniel Cicciaro’s father, also named Daniel, says he doesn’t believe White’s story. “He had 20 minutes to gather his thoughts, to call the police to defuse the situation, to find out why they were coming over, and he didn’t take any of the precautionary steps” he said.
“The Whites, none of them, ever called 9-1-1, even after he shot Daniel, but he did call their attorney,” Joanne Cicciaro added.
With tears in their eyes, Daniel and Joanne Cicciaro say their last image of their son was in the hospital, drenched in blood and being given CPR.
“I saw the hole in his cheek. I got to tell him that I loved him,” Joanne Cicciaro said. “I saw his blank eyes open, staring at the ceiling.”
Friends and supporters of both the Whites and the Cicciaros have attended the trial daily, which presented its case to the jury Tuesday. The jury finished its second day of deliberations Thursday with no verdict.

last name is very ironic

yeah i thought that too

fry em

give him probation

oohhhh race card how we hate thee

FUCK! WHY DOES IT ALWAYS FALL BACK ON RACE IN THE MEDIA!

This didn’t happen because White was a black kid, or Cicciaro was a white kid… It happened because some ignorant fuck shot some other dude in the face.

Well that’s a little complicated. Cliffs for those of you who didn’t read it all:

1. Some kid logged onto Aaron White’s myspace and sent a rape threat to Cicciaro’s female friend.
  2. Aaron White, Cicciaro, and the chick all wound up at the same party.
  3. They got into an argument, White left.
  4. Cicciaro and his buddies kept making harassing phone calls, saying they were going to come kill him.
  5. Cicciaro and friends showed up at White’s house.
  6. Aaron White’s father shot Cicciaro.

I don’t know about any of you, but when I still lived at home if a group of guys said they were going to come kill me and then showed up on my doorstep, my Dad would have shot them too.

Sounds like good parenting to me. :gotme:

Ecaxtly, and no need to bring up the race card in this story… it was self defense.
The only way to do it better, the dad could have shot the kid in the leg…

personally i dont see anything wrong… yeah the accidental discharge might be a bit sketchy but in every aspect, he didnt know it was hoax. it was grown man who had been receiving threats, and acted accordingly due to the circumstances… agreed on shooting towards the head was a bad idea but no one was there to see what really happend

I’d shoot the cracker.

2 years in low security detainment centre.

end of story.

Meh. If you’re going to shoot someone you shoot to kill. If you only want to hurt someone you don’t shoot them.

You know. Based on all of those times I’ve shot people.

:bloated:

if someone said they were going to kill me and showed up at my door I would have my .45 in my hand, 10 rounds in the magazine and the only way they would get to me or my wife is by stepping over my dead body with an empty gun in my right hand. period.

Who really thinks to call the cops in these situations? I know I wouldnt. I would be more concerned with my family’s immediate safety and if i had a gun in the house, Im sure I would have done the same thing. This is one reason why I dont think I will ever have a gun in my home. Its the unexpected things that get people in trouble.

Ya know people always say that you never know what a person is capable of until you push them in a corner. Ive never been pushed into a corner like this so I can just speculate what I would have done. I think house arrest would be sufficient.

Edited for my use.

so people showed up at his house to fight and he shot someone ? this is what happesn when you try to be a bad ass.

Cicciaro didnt call the cops about the rape threat
White didnt call the cops when the white men showed up on his lawn
seams like a fair trade to me :shrug:
sucks that the guy that died was just standing up for a girl he knew though … but im sure hes the one that rallied his friends into going over to Whites house to “deal with” the problem

my rule i simple

first person gets a shot in the leg, anyone that decides to run TOWARDS me after that gets shot in the chest

if watching me shoot your first friend makes you charge MY direction, you obviously had intentions to injure me originaly, therfore you die

and now your buddy, the first one who went down, he cant stand up in court and say “well we just went there to talk” … and you get to live w/ the guilt of getting all your friends killed.

regardless of race, or racial comments, the man shot and killed someone that was unarmed. He deserves life or the death penalty in my opinion.If this was vise versa i would feel the same way.

Why does it matter that they were unarmed? 4 guys showed up with clearly stated intentions of killing his son. Maybe he didn’t know they were unarmed. Maybe they had knives, or baseball bats, or 4 guys with fists and legs. Hell did the story even say they weren’t unarmed?

Yep, the story said nothing about whether or not the kids were armed. Maybe they were, maybe they weren’t. Doesn’t really matter. They said they were going to kill his son, then they showed up.

The only reasonable argument against White is that he didn’t call the cops, but so what? Is that really proof that he is dangerous and should be locked up? Maybe he didn’t really expect them to come so he didn’t call the cops, so when they showed up he didn’t have time.

Innocent until proven guilty, and there are too many what-ifs. But again, I’m sure that story isn’t telling the whole obective truth.