Video Card Purchase

I’m thinking about maybe buying a new Video Card for my computer. It’s basically the only part I didn’t upgrade since I built this thing myself. I currently have a Raedon 7000.

I’m basically just curious what other people are running. I wouldn’t mind being able to get into some cool FPS games like Call of Duty 2 or something. Somethign with a respectable single player game since I don’t have broadband currently. What can I get that will run that type of game with ease?

I have:

2 512 MB sticks of PC3200 DDR 400MHz CL3 Ram.
Intel P4 2.8Ghz 512k Cache, 800FSB Socket 478 HT
Soyo P4I865PE Dragon Socket 478 Barebone w/ 300W P

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

gforce 6800GT

price came down recently on these also.

I had no problems running farcry and doom3 on this card.

i just bought a 7800gt and it’s pretty rad.

i hate video cards, as soon as you buy them you need a better one to play new games

I should pick one up. Yes, I did just build a computer but my card isn’t the greatest.

What do you use though? 128MB or 256mb? I don’t know what today’s games run good on.

Any new game you want to run well will need 256mb.

:word: That’s what I was thinking. Thanks for the info… I’ll look into where I can get a good deal. THANKS!! :slight_smile:

i recently picked up a geforce 6200 256mb agp for ~$70. IMO thats the MINIMUM to go for these games. hopefully after xmas gifts are bought I can pick up a 7800.

I’ve got a geforce 6600GT 256mb. Runs Battlefield 2 awesome, but the special forces expansion is either buggy / laggy on night stages and complex buildings or its way too much for my system. I never had a problem before the expansion :gotme:

if by looking to a good deal you mean checking www.newegg.com

i think i got my gigabyte 7800gt for 330 shipped from space systems computers or something. retail. nonrefurb, unopened. it was like 40 cheaper than newegg.

Damn thats not bad

Newegg is more of a site you watch and wait on deals
the front page has some killer ass deals but you can sometimes do better
but 95% of the time newegg >*

even my 9700pro can run games like cod2 and nfs: most wanted without a problem at moderate settings with some overclocking, so you dont need to spend too much to get decent performance.

COD is a sweet game cause you don’t need a killer card to play it.

:ohnoes: jack has internet…

hello friend. I missed you. I love you.

But I have to go play 360 now.

chow.,

Jack, what is your take on a card I should look into?

CoD 1 or CoD 2??