Vista Service Pack 1/XP Service Pack 3

Has anyone deployed either of these yet? I’m downloading both now, but haven’t installed either. Just wondering if anyone has had any problems/anything good to say, etc.?

my home pc with vista has had vista sp1 on it for a few weeks with no problems. I did notice a small speed increase with copying and deleting files, but nothing major.

I have not tried xpsp3 yet. And who the fuck is still using old ass xp anyway??? :smiley:

you still using I.E ?:rofl:

I have my beastly desktop, which is dual boot, one for the kids that is locked down with group policy out the yin-yang, a laptop running Vista and one running XP Pro. Some of the software I use is optimized for XP (VMWare, etc.). VMWare especially hates how Vista uses all of the memory on the system for cache and doles it out as it sees appropriate.

Plus you need two laptops…so that assholes that forget theirs can join your game of StarCraft.

And I.E…? Wow…

Vista is actually turning into Windows ME, they are working on the new one to release last I knew. Basically just pushing Vista under the floor mat with all its kinks.

Vista SP1 might give you some driver issues on your laptop, but the main deployment issues it had (restart loop of death, etc) have been ironed out. It’s a solid upgrade, though you won’t notice muuuch of a difference. (Mostly file copying / deletion / compression / extraction speed increases).

XP SP3 hasn’t even officially been released yet. There’s been some shady delays with it’s release, but from my toying around with it, I haven’t noticed anything negative at all. It’s rumored to be officially released to consumers through Microsoft Update, Windows Update, and the Download Center April 29th. (April 21st to MSDN and Technet subscribers.)

Right now, as far as Vista SP1 goes, go for it. Wait 'till XP SP3 is officially released and give it some cushion room. (We all know how Microsoft patches go.)

As far as VMWare; watch out. Microsoft’s Hyper-V is awesome, and I’m liking it much more than VMWare. Server 2008 is probably the BEST operating system EVER released. The most stable, secure, fast, and frugal OS on the planet as we speak.

no and no

:hsugh:

Let me rephrase.

Server 2008 is the best M$ OS, EVER.

I’ll agree to disagree with you on the Hyper-V / VMWare bit. They’re pulling the same stunt that they did with Active Directory. Stealing a great idea and making an almost identical replica.

How dare you say Microsoft steals! Good business is good business!

But…unfortunately (or fortunately) the world revolves around Microsoft, and so we must.

I wonder if SP1 for Vista being released means that in a year or so when Microsoft starts trying to push everyone in the corporate world out of their XP deployments and into Vista environments, there won’t be mass confusion.

I’ve heard good things about Server 2008. I can’t wait till a copy becomes available on DreamSpark so I can get it for nothing. As for Vista, this is the first time I haven’t jumped quickly onto the next new OS Microsoft has released. It’s definitely a beast, but much of it is unfamiliar. Of course, I remember when Blanyer and I were running the scary XP Beta, and he deleted his recycle bin. So I guess you have to take the good with the bad.

/ramble

BTW, both service packs are deployed, and neither box has melted into a mass of useless plastic or anything.

Running Server 2k8 on my laptop as a workstation and it’s incredible.

Vista SP1 fucked me big time. Envrionment variable “PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER” changed on EM64T and AMD64 boxes to “Intel64 <blah blah blah>”. That’s the same as the old Itanic boxes would produce. :hsugh:

Not running the 64-bit version, so I should be ok. It hasn’t blown up in my face. My girlfriend is using it right now, and she hasn’t noticed anything different (I didn’t bother telling her I SP’ed the machine because she wouldn’t know what I was talking about anyway).

that’s better!

hyper v is not on the same level as vmware… trust me. i’m a vmware engineer, which naturally means nothing, but the reality is that i’ve been around town and have worked for or worked with people that worked for (or did projects at) many many many companies… i can only name one that uses virtual server (not true i can name two, but one is microsoft lol) on an enterprise level… and the reasoning is because microsoft threw it at them with support for free just to get it where it is (into a retail enviroment).

so yeah… it’s cool and the new kernel advances in the os allows better virtualization, but it has a long way to come to be a competitor. I actually did an ADS session at microsoft and joked with them, eventually getting them to admit that vmware is superior! lol

Installed Vista SP1 on laptop about 2 weeks ago and no issues so far.

I installed Vista SP1 on 5 machines. 2 of them were Dell laptops, 1 64-bit. I’ve been running them for about a month with zero issues. Didn’t notice any speed difference though. They’re all pretty new machines and mine at home especially is a power house.

Unless you write installation software that requires knowledge of the platform/os/bitlevel/proc-ID/architecture, it probably wouldn’t affect you.

As it stands, that is a good chunk of what I (am supposed to) do at work :smiley:

There may be some games that check that environment variable, but I doubt they’d have to see the PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER…probably just knowing the PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE for most of them would be sufficient.

Hahaha. That doesn’t suprise me. Obviously I don’t have nearly as much experience as you, but I’m just a nut for consolidation, and in all of the small instances I’ve worked with virturalization, Hyper-V did just that, consolidated.

i don’t mean to sound like a know it all (although i may argue that) but i have been around a few different larger instances of virtual enviroments and have seen the common choice :slight_smile: vmware’s advances in host machine control and built in DR / clustering really set it apart. microsoft knows they barely have a dog in the fight… but as you said, it does work for what it’s worth. i’m talking virtual enviroments of 200+ servers… for a spot solution (not needing ESX) it’s comparable.

this is in no way related to the vista/xpsp3 intent of the thread, but more so to the virtualization piece that popped up:

In any of the environments that have popped up have you been able to effectively monitor virtual to virtual network traffic? I was at a conference and this seems to be a bit of a security issue as, depending on virtual switch config, if a virtual box got owned, it could spread it’s payload to other virtual machines without tripping any IDS messages. Thoughts? New thread?

oh yeah, how do you deal with virus scan software? Is there a way in esx server to lock down the main hardware through the management console and just run one instance of the program on all subsequent vm’s? I don’t think there is, but I’m just starting to evaluate.

hit me up man.

the short of it is as follows:

monitoring virtual to virtual can be done easily… anything ‘sniffed’ at the os level would be easily seen, you can also monitor the switching of the servers within the virtual switch. network segmentation is easily achieved by trunking to the core and tagging each vswitch with the vlan… then it’s network layered traffic from virtual vlans on the host… essentially allowing the host to do your switching (trunked - duh :wink: )… ids and all existing captures would work as designed.

antivirus is effective through any instance as any physical endpoint… a lot of places run their antivirus on VM… just setup an av server as you normally would and run the clients to it… it’ll work just as it would physically.