VMWare Fusion

Anybody running it? Opinions?

I am downloading it now, I will update with my findings.

Currently installing Windows Vista. Setting up the virtual machine was a piece of cake. It even lets you input all options(cd key, username/pass, etc…) ahead of time, and automates that part of the install. I like this a lot. I am just sitting back, watching it go.

Machine is definitely taking a noticable performance hit. My rig is running a Pentium D with 2 gigs of ram. I would imagine that core2Duos can handle this a little better. Can’t expect much though, running two operating systems at once, obviously, a sacrifice will have to be made. Performance seems to have increased drastically once file copying was completed(makes sense).

Almost up and running from start of fusion download approximately 40 minutes ago.

VMWare is decent :tup:

I use VirtualPC most of the time though, even though it has some flaws. I notice that MS os’s seem to run better under it than vmware

I have to say, its running decently quick. I haven’t used VirtualPC. My first boot just loaded up and vmware tools are installing right now.

Unity is a sweet feature as well. It allows you to run windows apps without the rest of the screen open. In other words, its as if you are running a windows app right on the mac desktop. Sorta like Wine for linux.

A linux install is next, but I will tackle that another day. Its going to be nice to be able to test code accross platforms as well as tinker with vista and server 2008.

thats pretty cool :tup:

I may have to pick it up again

using parallels on my mac, i have:

server 2003
xp pro
vista
ubuntu

they all run excelent… some are even domain authenticated with no issues.

no love for server 2008? gotta learn it sooner or later. A lot of cool shit too.

yeah, domain authentication shouldn’t be an issue on any of them. I would really like to compare the performance of the two, but I don’t really have the time or the resources to do that.

VMWare fusion is sick nasty

It’s like, seamless application integration

for some reason when i use the non domain images they cant resolve host names unless i reboot etc… wierd

can someone learn me on VMWare i have it and can install other desktops but i dont know what to do from there …i have a IT job interview firday and need to know about it and sound like i know what im talkin about…if anyone can shoot me a pm

I’ve been running it for a few months now after I got sick of Parallels crashing (Leopard support is not great) and corrupting their images. As far as VMWare features I find it comparable to Parallels but I could care less as long as it’s robust, which so far it’s been perfect. VMWare has been around for ages it’s always been a great product.

Also, the .vmx file is Ascii so if it gets messed up (once so far) you can edit it and fix any syntax errors that might have been caused by an unclean mount.

Once you create a new image and install the OS it should function like a normal desktop install on a traditional computer.

but then what would one do with it?? i get that part

lets say you have 3 apps you want to run on a server, and some might need to be restarted periodically, and we dont want to interupt services on the other apps

well create 3 vm instances, then reboot them individually

do two apps require sql and dont want to maintain one sql database but instead want to keep them seperate? see the possibilities?

Another example:

I own a Mac and write some software that can be used with either a MySQL or Microsft SQL database. I obviously need to test and make sure it works on MS SQL but I don’t have a Windows server. So I create a VMWare virtual machine of Server 2003 and SQL Server 2005 and can now test everything while sitting at the same computer and not needing a separate computer.

Also, since I really don’t know what I’m doing when it comes to managing a Windows database if I break something I simply delete the VM image and grab another fresh working copy that I have saved.

You can pretty much do anything.