VW Cabriolet Project for the wifey

Meade did two cuts on the flywheel (two surfaces), decked the head, pulled the allignment pins on the flywheel and pressure tested the valves for 90$.

Good luck putting her back together,
Chris

I almost have the clutch back in. I was going to finish the other nite but my help didnt show so I pulled more of the interior apart instead. Then tonight I snapped some pics and cleaned the one center console piece quick.
Yes, this car is fn nasty inside. Hopefuly sooon to be “was nasty”.

Few pics

Clean and shiney.

A bit more cleaning to go, but at least the dash (minus the fn glove box door) is in nice shape. Sounds like a buddy of mine may have a new glove box for me. I also pulled off the sunvisors and noticed the dome light is broken. Im sure Ill find alot more.

Dan

Dan, this is an incredibly cool project, please keep it updated! I like your attention to detail.

wurd dude… i love projects and i love well documented projects like this one :tup:

:tup: to still workin on it in the winter

awesome! :tup:

nice dan. may i suggest tucking the door plastic bottom down into the inside of the door and sealing it to the outer sheetmetal of the inner of the door with ducttape.

tucking the plastic into the bottom of the door was the only way i could keep water from dribbling out of the bottom of the door panel and soaking the carpets on my golf. after i made that modification (and welded new floor pans in) the floor was dry for years to come even after I traded the car for an 88 fiero of a friend. :slight_smile:

Brian

Cutting flywheels is so stupid easy. I can’t believe people get charged what they do for what takes no time or work to do. (yes I’ve cut flywheels, stepped and non stepped.)

No new pics at the moment. I soaked most of the vents and shit in hot soapy water a few times, and managed to scrape like 1/16" of nicotene out of the ashtray bits (fn gross). Doing so ruined the foam seals on all the vent doors so I orded up a sheet of something from McMaster to make up some new ones.

I also ordered a “few” new parts for it:

Top and all the cables for it (old top was really faded and cracked in a few spots)
Jetta rear door handles (just so I can have no key holes, plus stockers hardly worked)

Front suspension and brake parts:

Bilstein HD strut inserts
Autotech lowering springs
strut mounts, bump stops, dust boots
ball joints
wheel bearings
control arm bushings
swaybar bushings
motor mounts (TT front mount and I may fill the others)
rotors
Mintex Red box pads
SS braided brake lines

Everything should be here by next monday, or sooner.

Dan

:tup: I love build threads.

damn… you’re really fixing this up!

Ya, may as well. MY wife and daughter will be driving it so I want it safe. The way the car was maintained , or not, Id just assume replace everything at once and be done. Instead of pulling it apart every weekend changing one thing.

That whole list of stuff, including the top etc, was about a $1k. Bringing my grand total to about $2k for this car, including the orig purchase price and the new clutch parts.

I think the rear brakes and struts, bearings etc are about $300, which Ill probably order in a few weeks, after I get back to some work on the cavy.

Dan

awesome man,that’ll be a sweet little btch bskt for the wife and kid :tup:

Lot of progress tonight.

I got the clutch and trans in, installed the new clutch cable and the speedo cable.

Then I pulled the entire front suspension and brakes off. EVERYTHING was original: ball joints still rivited on, rotors still had the retaining screws. Of course its all fn junk too. So I need to add tie rods to my ever growing list of shit to buy. Also the cv boots are really dry rotted so I may toss some new ones on now while its all apart.

In all this I only broke one bolt, one of the swaybar mount studs at the control arm.

Dan

absolutely great, keep it up. nothing better than a teardown and clean buildup.

Word, looks like a fun project. I need to start a project. I want a old mini. Does anyone ever see that blue one on the side of a house off sweethome rd. I Think?

More progress tonight.
I pulled the springs, and the stock strut inserts out of the housings and got almost everythign apart. I just need to press out the wheel bearings and the one bushing in the control arms. I also figured while it was all apart that Id stich up the control arm seams quick (mainly since I havent played with the sand blaster or welder in a while). WIth any luck Ill get the rest of it apart tomorrow and get everything to powdercoat on friday.
Also some of the new goodies showed up today.
Old junk

“clean” brake fluid

Few new parts

Dan

you bastard i always wanted to build a vert for my girl :tup:

i feel like this rebuild should be aired on the history channel during “Modern Marvels”…

your woman better have some chicken waiting for you:wiggle:

^haha