VW Cabriolet Project for the wifey

wow, keep up the good work

Geez this thing is going to be better than new

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/car/548778724.html

just might think you wanted another project thanks lol

Saw this in person the other day along with the rest of the garage. This guy has way too many projects as it is. lol.

ooo thats so tempting haha. Great deal, would be an easy car to swap a VR into to. muhurahahaha

But ya, Id be in trouble if I brought that home.

EDIT: Tho a 95 would be better, no obd2 ftw.

Dan

Danā€¦

Awesomeā€¦

Sorry for getting back to you so late. I canā€™t find the strut bars for it. Come spring time when I can get to parting my brotherā€™s scirocco Iā€™ll have a lot of parts for it. Autotech 268 degree cam, autotech front and rear sway bars, koni yellow adj. front and rear all with only 5k on them, rear disk brakes etc. My bro hit a guard rail a few years ago and its just sitting and he moved away, but its winter with no time to pull anything off it.

The attention to detail is making this one of the best DIY threads of this winter. Keep the pics coming.

Have you seen his other threads?

Yeah, quite the DIYā€™er.

:tup: to people who spin their own wrenches.

Itā€™s looking really nice. I have one too! I have an older one and a Wolfsburg addition and its red. I am sure your wife will love it. Mine was way cleaner than this one was when I bought it but they are really fun. Nice work.

What have you been using to clean the nooks and crannies like the switches and what not? I need to detail the interior of my car :frowning:

I cleaned every inch of the parts with hot soapy water and a toothbrush. Obv you cant soak the actual switches, but if they come apart you can do the part you touch.

That and just timeā€¦ as with all things the more time you spend the better.

Dan

:tup: looking good.

does this remind anyone else of that one supra ā€œbuildā€ scene in the fast and the furious ? :biglol:

keep it up, i love seeing the updates.

Finally some more progress. Sunday I got the new wheel bearings pressed in as well as the control arm bushings. I got some stuff on the car but didnt get any pics until today.

Today I finally picked up the strut tubes from powder. They coulndt match the bilstein yellow exactly, but its close enough considering how far awaay the rears are. I also got both strut assemblies together, both control arms on, passs side complete brakes and new ss braided line on, both struts in, and the sway bar on.

The damn swaybar had no grease left in the bushigns at all, if fact I almost had to use a pair of pliers to get the center ones moving again. A little prothane grease and all is well again.

I did run into a snag. One of the rubber boots in the new caliper is wrong. The damn guide pin wont fit thru worth a ****. So I need to order anoter caliper and pull the boot out of it and return it. Also I keep forgettig to order the new tie rods so thats on tomorrows list with the caliper.

I still need to put the axles in and do the final ball joint bolting. With any luck Ill have the car back on the ground and out of the garage on sunday.

Dan

this car = show quality

youā€™re doing an amazing jobā€¦i really give you credit for doing the work so efficiently and quickly so that your ladies have something to drive when itā€™s warm again.

Really canā€™t wait to see the finished project.

you can buy the rubber boot separately just so you know.

^^ ya, I was thinking that this am. It was late when all that crap happened last night. Gonna look into that and the new outer tie rods today.

EDIT: Parts ordered. Should be here tomorrow. So nice that GAP is right near Albany.

Dan