VW green lights 235-m.p.g. concept car

http://autos.canada.com/news/story.html?id=d6514fb5-812f-4723-b8a4-572ffbbb6067

20k euros = 31k US
30k euros = 47k US

original article
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Green-Cars/Search-Results/Green-News/VW-to-relaunch-one-litre-eco-car/?&R=EPI-6298

If I did the math right, driving 1 gallon of gas in that, verses the same distance with a 30mpg would save you a little over 27$ in gas.

So on every 2350 miles for 40$ in that car.
the same trip in a 30mpg car would cost 313$ in gas
273$ savings.
Basically every time you pump 10 gallons of gas, by the next time you pump 10 gallons of gas you would have saved 273$

Unless i fucked the math up somewhere

I doubt it will pass U.S. Crash tests

Nor will you pass your STD test.

Don’t you think a MAJOR manufacturer had the forethought to do the crash testing on a car making over 200mpg for the world market and not just announce they are in the game and then pull out?

Props to someone for stepping up to the plate and making an interesting concept. To bad A. it’s a garbage VW. B. it’s a garbage UGLY vw.

^^^

The market has spoken and they don’t give a shit about ugly. Look at all of the smart cars running around WNY this summer. Ugly as sin, death traps, and people still drive them for the purpose of saving on gas costs.

Smart cars are actually INCREDIBLY safe, believe it or not. They sure are ugly though.

Are smart cars those weird golf cart lookin things?

unless you get hit by a 6000# suv. then you’re fucked

I kinda feel like that price is bullshit…

Yes. I cant imagine them being all that safe. Getting hit by any SUV on a side impact and you can say lights out for good. You can probably taste the bumper of the SUV before you kick the bucket.

what motor is in it?

An iMac.

yes and no…

yes… they are trying to capitalize on everyone crazy about gas prices.

no… something has to cover R&D costs and the material used don’t sound cheap in the first place.

so…

30g’s for a couple racing seats, ebay dash cluster, and carbon.

costs are not the only thing a manufacturer is trying to cover, they will charge what the people are willing to pay.

Something tells me that this thing won’t even hit half of their projected mpg.

Where did you get your info from? They ran one of those things into a barrier at 70mph and the thing was almost totally unharmed. That’s not a good thing, that means all of the crash enegry was transmitted directly to the passengers. The point isn’t to save the car, it’s to sacrifice the car to save the occupants.

(topic split anyone?)

Still a VW.

ehh… pretty much rules out the possibility of road head with that seating arrangement…

edit:

:frowning: lame.

Pretty optimistic, seeing as mopeds can’t really even hit anywhere near that. Whole lotta fancy materials though.

Saving gas? The thing barely get 30+, buy a 92 civic if you want to save gas.
People are buying them to stand out. Hell the Mini get 37 hwy and is bigger and more comfortable.

Now if it was getting 40+ like it’s diesel brother than maybe it would be worth talking about in the gas saving category.