VW help, fault codes

im looking at a 2004 GLI

these are the codes its showig

P0238 -this is the code i would really like the help with , any info or experiance with this code would really help my decision on buying the car.

P0106 -map sensor (could be a vaccum leak?)

if these are easy to fix , then im gonna buy the car … if not, then i wont be buying it

shit , i did not mean to put this in the market place

plz movveee for me , thanks :stuck_out_tongue:

The p0106 means you have a discrepancy between your ECU MAP and the sensor in the intake tract. Check for major leaks and check the DV if equipped.

The p0238 should be a related code to the issue.

Quick search revealed the voltage output needed for the test of your MAP

Check for voltage between pins 1 and 3 of the harness (about 4.5v).

Edit: Is the car stock or modded?

If modded always expect a hack job with the turbo and sensors.

thanks aot

the car is modded but not alot … ive been doing som reserch on vortex and i feel it has to do with an exhaust leak. When i get the car i gotta make sure the mani is on tight. When i drov the car i noticed a slight exhaust leak … so i think both the codes are coming from that.

i just closed the deal on the car. Going to the bank within the next day or 2 , i feel confident i got quite a deal :slight_smile:

delete thred

Threads don’t get deleted here, especially as the code issue is still out in the air.

AFAIK exhaust leaks should have no effect on your MAP which reads of the intake side. Typically exhaust associated codes of any sort deal with EGR’s.

Did he take the exhaust manifold off for whatever reason? Was the turbo replaced?

the turbo and mani have never been messed with. But i know there is an exhaust leak coming from that area. I heard after a whie the bolts on the mani smetimes come loose?! So thats the first thing im gonna check.

P0238 Turbocharger Boost Sensor A Circuit High

asfor the map sensor … im just gonna replce it. I found someone on vortex with the same 2 codes … he replaced it and also fixed an exaust leak and that sloved the problem

i wont be putting the car on the road right away, so i will be taking my time to fix it all so its 100% before i drive it

the 1.8t doesnt use a MAP sensor like many are used to. no vaccum lines, and its technically not even a MAP sensor, its a charge pressure sensor.

Exhaust leaks through bolts will have a very distinctive *ping like sound, almost like somebody firing an airsoft gun. Typically on domestic cars they rot straight through and or snap, they shouldn’t be coming loose in any normal wear and tear.

Why replace it when you can test it and see if it’s putting out proper voltage?

Best of luck either way.

Google showed this

http://www.urotuning.com/shop/images/038906051B.jpg

Looks like a resistance type sensor indeed, interesting.

ill keep you informed. I should have the car within the next week or so …

the turbo bolts break often on higher mile cars. manifolds crack too, i have a low mile manifold if you need it. otherwise trash can.

/\ thanks :slight_smile: … the car only has 86k on it so im thinking more along the lines of a crack in the mani. We shalllll see, it would be a pleasant suprise if it was just loose bolts though