vw wiring help on a mk4

I will summarize and point to a thread on racepa for details.

had an alt rebuilt about 9 months ago. Even after the rebuild I keep throwing an alternator workshop message about once every 4 days. I hooked a volt meter up thinking that it wasn’t pushing 14+ volts when this message is displayed, however, my theory was wrong. The message flashed but my meter showed 14.2v the whole time.

After talking some more with a guy on RPA, it seems that message is tripped when the computer sees less than 75A. My problem is that none of the meters I have will read more than 10A. I still have to check continuity on a couple of more wires, but I think they are all solid. I have also cleaned all the grounds under the battery, are there more I should hit.

I have two questions:

1. Does anyone have a multimeter that will read 120A max and would you be willing to let me borrow it for a couple of weeks in exchange for money / beer?
  2. Does anyone know of a super automotive electric shop / person that would be willing to try to resolve this problem?

I am going to check a couple more things, and may just get a new (rebuilt) alt from the dealer and throw in. I would rather not do this on a whim though as they are over $280 from the internet for the bosch unit.

Here is the link to the racepa thread that has a writeup on most everything I have tried.

http://www.racepa.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4991&st=0&gopid=72218&#entry72218

Thanks everyone!

chris

ps, If anyone has a mk4 bentley manual that they wouldn’t mind loaning me for a couple weeks, the same offer of some cash, beer, or wild turkey stands. I have an pdf version but it doesn’t have the wiring diagram in it…

i bet sonny would help[ ya for some liquer

lol… whiskey to be exact.

beyond that, i have a meter that’ll read that high, and i know a super automotive electrician that happens to be in my garage…

i have a bentley but i don’t think i can let it go for weeks… i do, however, have a pdf of the wiring diagram… send me your email.

buy a used alt, put it on and be done w/ it. oem alts are not bosch, but valeo.

if your alt is a rebuilt unit, chances are good it is missing circuitry needed inside for the workshop bs. have run into similar problems before.

just as an update, this did seem to hold true. I bought a used oem alt off of ebay for $40. It has been 12 days since I’ve installed it and I haven’t seen the alternator workshop message flash on the screen yet. I think I’m calling this one fixed.

Thanks for all the help guys!

chris