waiting 30 minutes after eating to swim?

seriously. what the fuck. were my parents retarded? any proof of ANYTHING bad ever happening? I don’t know about you, but i could eat 100 steaks and then go swimming and i think i would be just fine.

I was always told it would result in appendicitis…to this day I still wait 30 min. Weird.

ill hold you to that…

email myth busters

I don’t think you could eat 100 steaks…

I smell a:

http://twiki.org/p/pub/Main/HyesookOh/Mission-Challenge-cover-pho.jpg

unless you’re swiming hard, it’s not going to have an effect on you. If you are swimming hard you might get a cramp…will that kill you? prob not, unless you’re in a lake without a pool side to get out on.

Yeah, I had a BBQ/Pool Party a few weeks ago and we all ate and jumped right in…nothing bad happened.

haha 6 total posts :lol:

Yeah…that’s me :slight_smile: 6 wonderful posts…i’m working my way up on this board! Slowly but surely!

yeah i always thought it had to do with cramps, the above link has confirmed this

The whole reason this was created is actually really silly.

What used to happen is that people would swim right after eating… and end up just going the bathroom in the pool since it was so convienent. Serious.

“I think that someone has shit in or around the pool area”

“What, i hope it wasn’t in my pool”

etc

it probably just applies to super out of shape people, and they have no buisness in swim suits anyway.

i dont think itl do anything, shit , I eat while swimming. Im 1337 like that

which accounts for 90% of america

i think thats the reasoning behind it…

either that or the parents (when we were younger) didnt want to watch you in the pool so they used that one so they at least get 30 min to relax and not have to worry about the fucking kids in the pool…

i know when i have watch my sister in the pool (she is like 8) its FUCKING BORING… she gets ten minutes in at its time to go in the house

speaking of swimming out in an ocean or large body of water… has anyone been caught in a nasty fucking rip tide? WORST TIME EVER!!

Well, I don’t think the term “swimming” applies to people who jump in a pool and hang out in the shallow end. Somehow most people take that as swimming and wonder why they “swam” so much yet they don’t see any results from all the vigorous “swimming” lol.

Doing a rather strenuous excersize of any sort is not the best idea after eating a big meal. Think about it… go sprint a couple laps around a track after you eat a couple steaks. How shitty do you feel? I think it’s similar.

Oh, opps, I didn’t even see that howstuffworks post lol

interesting writeup by howstuff works, but i still call bsflag. i still think it’s an old wives tale… lol the real reason parents say not to, is b/c they are too lazy to go outside and make sure u don’t drown. u prolly have nearly the same chance of drowning whether u eat or not.

2nd that

ur stupid. ever eat a meal right before going for a jog? When u cramp up like that its very hard to keep moving. If you were in a lake swimming in water over ur head, u would have a hard time getting to shore if u were a weak swimmer. its not like jogging where u could just stop and rest. U have to keep urself afloat, and when u move, it only makes the cramp worse.