Washing machine smells like fish...anyone else?

Bought a front loader about 5yrs ago, never had a problem until now. When doing a wash the basement stinks of fish. Apparently this is a common problem with many many solutions. I always leave the door open so I know its not that. Ive read people saying some have internal filter etc so when I get home Ill check that.

Just wondering if anyone on here has had this roblem yet?

Ive also run a cleaning cycle with bleach etc

i have heard that running vinegar may help, but I can’t guarantee that…

Everyone I know that has ever bought a front loader (parents included) has been incredibly dissapointed and eventually went back to a top loader. I hope you find a way out of this fishy situation.

Are you using HE detergent / softener? What’s your water source? My mom has one and these things make a difference.

There’s a specific cleaner that’s for Front Loaders to address this issue. It works really well. Most often the smell comes from the drain line getting partially clogged and water to start sitting in the drum. Check the drain line for clogs, etc. Then run a cycle or two with the cleaner, then an empty hot cycle and you should be good to go. They sell the cleaner at Lowes, but I don’t remember the name, it’s in with the appliance section.

The cleaner is made by Clorox and is called “Washing machine cleaner” I use it and it works well.

Are you washing any of your girlfriends clothes, particularly undergarments in this machine?

Simple solution = leave the door open when not in use. These things are air tight (For obvious reasons).

Beat me to it holmes.

:tup:

I typed it but couldn’t bring myself to hit submit :tup: to you.

It was like shooting fish in a barrel

Already do this

I may switch back to top load if I cant figure this out

Yup, Im using the HE stuff. Water source is typical town water.

Thanks ill look into that :tup:

No girlffriend…just mine :wink:

Already do this

Well then, I wouldn’t air your dirty laundry on this site.

ok so back on topic. ill be looking into something tonight
will update if this is solved

If you’ve had it for 5 years and never cleaned the filter, that’s likely the source of your problems. I think the recommended interval is every 6 months.

No roblems with mine.

I got 99 roblems an fish is one

Not disappointed lol.

Seriously though, run that cleaner through it and clean the drain, you’ll be good after that.

Checked the filter and it was pretty clean, cleaned it anyways.
Cleaned out the detergent tray
Checked the gaskets and cleaned those

Doing a 2nd basket clean with more bleach. Going to Lowes tomorrow to buy that “special” basket clean stuff