Washing machine smells like fish...anyone else?

LMAO. In for results as I too have a front loader and do not want any fish roblems.

lol roblems

Roblems Raggy?

Well played sir

Bought a brand new ge top loader set, love it. No stink.

My dad left one of his fish oil pills in his pocket before doing the laundry years ago. We ended up with a new washer after living with the smell for a month. Obviously not the same problem but this thread brought back some bad memories.

Im about to put this damn thing to the curb!
4 washes in a row with bleach and then 2 with those affresh tablets…the smell went away…and now its back after a simple wash.

Literally im ready to take this thing apart

change your detergent and see if that was the cause. (that’s my guess unless your water sucks)

If you want to sell it, let me know.

I am :bigblapping: over here :tup:

I just re-read the OP. Just to clear something up, the basement stinks, not the things you’re washing/washing machine itself?

That sounds more like a venting/plumbing issue, than a problem with your washer. Do you have a floor drain?

EDIT: or any other drains in the basement?

I know its the washer

1. no floor drain
  2. sump pump near by doesnt smell when I walk over to it
  3. it only smells when the washer is running
  4. I go near the laundry tub that it dumps into and if the washer is off theres no smell, washer on…smell
  5. I run the water in the tub to act like the washers draining, no smell
      • Updated - - -

I dont think she changed detergents but ill ask.

If my water sucked/smelled then it would be smelly out of all the faucets too

Did you try using a hot water cycle? Maybe that and bleach or the cleaner will help.

I’m with @Gus. Refer to the 1st response of this thread.

I had a fishy smell in my basement one time. and it turned out to be one of the electrical outlets in the basement was at fault.

http://blog.chuckmarable.com/whats-that-fishy-smell-its-electrical/

Did that, still stinky

• Updated - - -

Thanks Gus, BG and Mark

So I just got off the phone with GE.
A recall was done on my machine a few yrs ago (electrical issue) but they want to make sure its not back…hmmmm WTH Hopefully its not that electrical issue.

They are sending someone out tomorrow on their dime. Recall is free of course but they will also be paying for the tech to look at the whole machine, not just the “recall area”.

Any repairs outside the recall will be on my dime.

Im cool with that

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32531[/ATTACH]

Slip him a 20 and tell him the washer IS FAULTY​ and get a new washer.

lol

oh yeah when capacitors leak they can STINK like that…