Washing machine smells like fish...anyone else?

Mental note, thank you!

When ours were delivered the guy said to leave the door cracked open when not in use. Never had an issue. Not sure if this was mentioned.

Seems to be the culprit.

https://www.google.com/search?q=capacitor+fishy+smell&oq=capacitor+fishy+smell&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.4744j0j8&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#q=bad+capacitor+fishy+smell

Ok so heres the update!

Friday the tech comes over, sits on the floor, sticks his head in the washing machine, takes a wiff and says “yup, you have old detergent caked in the drum. Add 2 cups of vinegar after youre done with your laundry for the day and let it sit. Smell should go away in a month…cya”. And he left

So I added the vinegar and let it sit. Sunday its time for a wash, Started doing the wash, starting to smell fish so I leave the basement. Come back only to find the washing machine off and locked. WTH right. Try to turn it on, no power…WTH. Check the breaker and it blew.

Now Im thinking, something “FISHY” is going on.

I unplug the washer and dryer and find this!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/rugsr/72A1D5CE-A49C-4D61-B884-596A7C8C9B2A_zpsxgvurzhk.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/rugsr/E5687B52-FEF1-45BC-976F-F8C3A73EF035_zps32oeu2qm.jpg

The wire in the panel was melted too!

Even though the entire house is copper, someone ran this section (10ft) with aluminum wire and then continued with copper (a NO NO when done wrong)

So tonight I will replacing the line, outlet etc.

So to answer the big question of where was the smell coming from…technically I dont know. It could still be the old detergent and this was just a coincidence, maybe not. If the smell is still there and lasts a month after the aluminum is gone then its the washer. If the smell goes away then it was the outlet.

I still think its the washer since the dryer is plugged into the same outlet and the smell was never there when THAT was on. But im sure a gas dryer pulls less current then a washing machine.

So for now, Im just happy there was no house fire.

Will keep yous posted

Could be the insulation on the wire. I had a similar issue at our old house (not sure if it was the same cause) but nevertheless the insulation in the wire was burning. It definitely had a weird odor to it.

You are lucky that your house didn’t burn down.

x2 fuck man.

Hope you have fire insurance and nothing else in your house is wired like this…

I mean…who doesn’t have fire insurance??

Fire insurance, yes

I replaced every outlet in the house with the new tamper resistant outlets for child safety and all the boxes were wired properly. The basement I didnt bother touching since kids wont be down there playing around. After this I will be checking everything down here, but I “should” be fine since this is the only aluminum wire I can see

glad you found it. I had a similar thing in my basement but I thought the cat carried cat food to under my computer desk, then I remembered all she had was turkey stuff. then I googled fishy smell, and touched the outlet and it was hot.

I actually found mine by chance. I turned the light off in the bathroom and I could see behind the outlet a glowing redish light. Turns out it was the wiring.

I can bring over a flir infrared camera and we can shoot all of the wires, boxes and panel to see if there are any hot spots.

Thanks man but I ran through the lines last night

Well the verdict is in…it was the outlet.
Last night I ran 2 new lines, moved the box and added another. When taking apart the old outlet and ripping out the line I could smell “fish”. So I put my nose right up to the outlet and YUP, pure fish!

Moral of the story, if you smell fish dont wait. It could be a possible fire!

Thx guys