waste gate flutter???

i have a megan racing BOV and when i shift i hear like a chatter noise coming from the waste gate…what is causing this???..o and i love this sound…

Probably not coming from your wastegate since it doesn’t have anything to do with what you’re saying. My guess would be compressor surge if it is a fluttering sound, you really shouldn’t love that.

its normal and just fine at low boost driving 2-4 psi

so how do i get rid of it if it’s bad???

soften up your bov.

First you have to determine if it is indeed compressor surge. I’m just assuming it is since you are saying the sound is coming from your wastegate which is probably close to the turbo. Test to make sure your bov is opening.

my money is on compressor surge as well… unhook the vacuum line going into the BOV and if you still get the same noise then its compressor surge…

So if you are getting Compressor Surge with the BOV hooked up it could a few things

• its set to stiff ?
  • its getting way to much vaccum which is holding it closed ?
  • if its a piston type deal and not a diapgram, piston may be stuck ?

its a megan racing BOV is that piston or diaphram??? and where should the BOV be ‘T’ d off from???and how do you check if it is working?

Top Right Nipple on the Manifold goes to BOV

I “think” the Megan BOV’s are a piston setup (but I have never seen one in person) so I have no idea how they come a part… But remove the Piston/Spring etc… and clean it all up with some WD40 and then put it back together.

Also remove all the tension from the Spring “less tension the easier it will blow off/open”

To check if its working… You pretty much gotta rev the shit outta the car “up near redline” and have someone hold their hand over the BOV and see if they can feel it “blow off”

ok the BOV is brand new and i also have my BOV on the cold pipe coud this contribute to this sound???

i have mixed opinions…some say it’s fine and others say it’s not so…i dont know what to think…

Start by checking if your bov is opening or not.

it is opening and it is releasing air…lots of it.

would putting a nipple on the charged IC piping and attaching the wastegate to that help??? and having the BOV attached to the right nipple out of the throttle body???

Well if you know for a fact that the bov is releasing air everytime the throttle closes then the fluttering sound isn’t compressor surge.

ok i figured it out…my wastegate is hooked up wrong…it should be hooked to the hot pipe not the manifold…ok so i does anyone know where i can get a hipple welded on to my hot pipe!!!ASAP??

you mentioned your bov is hooked up to the cold pipe, just T your wastegate off that until you can weld a nipple where you want.

ya thats where is it right now…

Ok, few things here.

You want the BOV on the cold side anyway.

Second, just because his BOV is working doesn’t mean he won’t get compressor surge.

I get compressor surge at part throttle lift off, and only blow-off at WOT.

I find it’s always a compromise between the two. If it’s set to blow off all the time, it tends to hang open under vacuum, causing stumbling and stalling while coasting. If it’s set too hard, it won’t blow off at all.

Compressor surge isn’t the nuclear dirty bomb you think it is.

Surge under load is what nukes turbos. In this instance, you aren’t under load.

It could be a vacuum leak too, or even yeah, the BOV might be stuffed.

A lot of it depends on the blow-off valve and what it’s designed for.

Weaksauce BOVs are only meant to see 5-7 psi. Running those boost levels with a BOV designed with 20-30 psi in mind, you’re going to have a hard time dialing it in.

It doesn’t really matter where your BOV or your wastegate get their signal from. As long as it is a strong vacuum reference it will work.

If there’s 30 things teed into the same vacuum line, it might not be a vacuum source after all.

If in doubt, stick your finger over the line with the car running. Does it suck?

It should be quite noticeable.

Hahah thank you, that is what I have been telling him,

mr200 wrote:

If in doubt, stick your finger over the line with the car running. Does it suck?

It should be quite noticeable.

Hahah thank you, that is what I have been telling him,

haha thank you i’ve done that and yes it is sucking but still the flutter.

That is your opinion.