Watkins Glen Driver Ed - August

http://www.gvc-bmwcca.org/drivingSchool/WhatsNew.aspx

August 29th and 30th, slots are still available.

~3 hours of track time with instruction, plus classroom sessions.

BMW ownership not a requirement.

DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT why does this have to be 5 days after I leave (again) :frowning:

Don’t think my car will be ready, shit…

middle of the week and $410? I’ll pass and run with the PCA for half that cost.

which club? niagara region is $310 and not as good as the bmw club events (for reasons i won’t go into). reisentoter is a demolition derby waiting to happen (too many cars on track at one time). northern new jersey has yet to let me into one of their events since i’m not in their region.

point me to a well run $200 event and i’ll be there everytime.

I want to go but to bad schools starts Aug. 27

Maybe I’ll go Sept 29-30th

$230 for PCA members who don’t need an instructor, and they’re great guys to run with: http://www.schattenbaum.org/

Not a bad price, too bad it’s only 3 events for the year. If you want to do more, or need instruction, you’ll be paying more.

If you are ready for it, SCCA schools cost less and have more track time. I’d rather run with them, but time constraints don’t allow racing this year.

Oh, I forgot the totally sweet buffet style garage party and crappy t-shirt. there’s a least $20 of the price…

I just noticed they make the instructors pay, I guess that’s how the keep the costs down for everyone else. Alot of groups let the instructors drive for free since they are doing a lot of the work.

I’ve never heard of instructors driving for free at the glen, but often reduced fee and more track time.

Never heard of more track time, at least not with the groups I’ve run with. Same number of sessions as everyone else. A few instructors I knew started boycotting certain clubs because they were making them pay for events they instructed at. I assume that means they didn’t have to pay before.

Regardless, track rental and insurance costs the same no matter who you are. If the fee is less, they probably just run more groups or larger groups. I don’t know of anyone getting rich off of organizing events, so I assume the price is fair (within a couple bucks). I’ve been out on track at Watkins Glen with more than 10 cars/mile, and it can get scary if there are a bunch of green students running bumper to bumper.

I have, quite frequently.

410’s a bit high, but IMO if you’re whining about $50 plus or minus, you shouldn’t be doing track days. :violin2:

out of curiosity, which groups have that policy… I’ve only run the glen with BMW and Porsche clubs so far, neither is free for instructors.

Genesee Valley BMW, Niagara PCA, Norther NJ PCA, PDA, TracQuest (now something else), Mid-Ohio PCA, Riesentoter PCA, and a couple other that escape me now.

Just going off what other instructors have told me. They suggested getting into instructing to save money, just brakes and tires is what they said. I took that as little to no cost for instructing at some of these events.

Again, the one region you posted with a cheap WGI event is great. But I don’t see how they do it, I wish more clubs would cut the cost. Just not at the sake of safety, track personnel, or on-track time.