We are the 53%

http://news.yahoo.com/key-lesson-iceland-crisis-let-banks-fail-003849604.html;_ylt=A2KJh.esXLdOtFMAMQptzwcF;_ylu=X3oDMTRvYm9rOWpsBGNjb2RlA2dtcHRvcDEwMDBwb29sd2lraXVwcmVzdARtaXQDTmV3cyBmb3IgeW91BHBrZwM2YjcwMmU1My04Y2RjLTNhMzEtOWJhMS0wNGU2ZTIwZWM4ZmQEcG9zAzkEc2VjA25ld3NfZm9yX3lvdQR2ZXIDODBiYzJjZjAtMDg3NC0xMWUxLWI3ZjctZjU4MDM2ZThlNzA3;_ylg=X3oDMTJsb24yaTlyBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDYjYwMjg2ZWQtMDc5Ny0zMTBjLTkyZGQtODgwODg4MWM4NDlhBHBzdGNhdAN1cwRwdANzdG9yeXBhZ2U-;_ylv=3

http://www.npr.org/2011/12/10/143508437/just-what-do-the-rich-have-thats-taxable?sc=fb&cc=fp

OWS gets alot of criticism, from myself included. This is the stuff they should talk about…not wiping their useless art degrees off the record.
If they brought up points like this would you OWS bashers still insist that the rich are paying their fair share?

Thoughts?

So now the liberal media is trying to make a huge deal out of Romney saying he can’t get the 47%. They are so desperate they need to try to make the truth controversial?!?!? How pathetic? LMAO.

Is fighting for the moderates a new concept to ABC?

It’s a big deal because he’s on tape saying that half of the country he wants to lead is scum. If he had left it at “47% of people who don’t pay income tax won’t be influenced by my plan to reduce income tax rates” it would have been fine. But from there he went on a rant slapping ugly labels on half the country.

But I’ll grant him the context. He was pandering to a group of really wealthy dudes in what he thought was private. But a presidential candidate should never paint half the country he wants to lead in broad strokes of shit. I’m sure they all do, but they shouldn’t.

Fry 4 Prez! Well stated sir.

He didn’t say everyone in that 47% was a lazy shit bag. If someone is in that 47% and they feel like Romney was talking about them then they must be feeling some guilt.:wink:

Edit: It should not be a news flash to anyone that Dems buy votes with welfare, tax breaks, etc. But the truth does hurt sometimes.

Here’s the full text, where he says if you’re part of the 47% that don’t pay income tax you accept no responsibility to yourself and feel entitled to handouts.

Audience member: For the last three years, all everybody’s been told is, “Don’t worry, we’ll take care of you.” How are you going to do it, in two months before the elections, to convince everybody you’ve got to take care of yourself?

Romney: There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe that government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you name it. That that’s an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what. And I mean, the president starts off with 48, 49, 48—he starts off with a huge number. These are people who pay no income tax. Forty-seven percent of Americans pay no income tax. So our message of low taxes doesn’t connect. And he’ll be out there talking about tax cuts for the rich. I mean that’s what they sell every four years. And so my job is not to worry about those people—I’ll never convince them that they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives. What I have to do is convince the 5 to 10 percent in the center that are independents that are thoughtful, that look at voting one way or the other depending upon in some cases emotion, whether they like the guy or not, what it looks like. I mean, when you ask those people…we do all these polls—I find it amazing—we poll all these people, see where you stand on the polls, but 45 percent of the people will go with a Republican, and 48 or 4…

[Recording stops.]

Like I said, his point is political strategy and he threw some “entitlement” and “dependent” labels on people who don’t pay income tax in order to pander to a bunch of dudes who presumably pay a ton of taxes. It’s pretty shitty, but I’m with you that it sucks that nonsense like this distracts us from talking about real issues.

I still love the republican paradox of preaching that the road to prosperity is paved with tax cuts while bitching about people who benefit from tax cuts. Fucking numb skulls.

Whatever. Gary Johnson’s getting my vote in November. In the mean time I’ll enjoy watching these two flap their arms at each other.

x2 for Gary Johnson

Many hardcore republicans insist welfare spending goes to lazy fucks living the life. They should drive through the ghettos and see for themselves just how lavish many of those they consider parasites live. If life is so gravy why are the poor so prone to a life of crime and might some of this be related to their education/schooling being sub-standard as it’s based on the surrounding tax base?

Look at the census data, let’s see who really is strung out on the entitlement system. Many are former factory workers that our country has all but abandoned, their jobs outsourced with no honest effort towards re-tooling their education or skills. Many of the people Romney and windbags like him consider to be parasites became parasitic at the hands of the capitalists. Reap what you sow?

I’m not big on entitlements, certainly not hand outs. I think it’s awesome to live in a prosperous nation where we can afford to TEACH someone to fish for themselves. But by handing them a fish we keep people dumb, hungry and disabled…un-motivated. Isn’t it curious just how well this mechanism works to create class warfare as well? If you want to see who is acting like a parasite quality of life seems to be a good place to peek. I don’t know any middle class or poor that has managed to leech enough to build a $4 Million dollar elevator for their car collection. I’m not hating on success, I’m hating on ill gotten gains and the theft of our national spending power.

Really though, you guys are spot on talking about how the topics that are blasted in the debates & on media outlets is intended to be a diversion of our attention.

Don’t loose sight of the fact that jobs were outsourced BECAUSE OF govt… and of course unions but yeah the people/voters did it to themselves.

It always comes back to the people, it has to. If we don’t admit we fucked up then we can’t possibly change anything going forward.
I think one of the biggest issues is our government and the capitalists being one and the same thanks to lobbying and a revolving door. We sat back and watched it happen, trading our voice for a bit of supposed safety/security. We need to kick the fuckers out of OUR government and seal that door so the capitalists can’t get back into government down the road.

Here’s a fun read for you guys.

Awesome read… so far.