We have VTEC

WE HAVE VTEC!!!

CVVTS (Continuously Variable Valve Timing System). Basically Nissan’s version of Honda’s VTEC. The valves are changing continuously throughout the RPM. But the beginning point is at around 3000RPM for the “Cam Changeover” as told by the exhaust note, after that you will continuously hear exhaust tone just change steadily.

Cool little thing eh?:A Too bad I have no clue how it works unless I see a diagram for it.:confused:

It IS cool, and coming from the Honda camp, I might be able to explain a bit about how it works. The basic “change-over” is due to an a series of extra lobes per exhaust cam, which are triggered by a signal from the ECU at a given RPM and sends the signal to solenoid that causes the cams to switch lobes. As for the “continuous” part, that’s due to the ECU constantly adjusting the timing on the cam gears to ensure maximum torque throughout the power band. Due to THIS part, though… you will NOT hear the exhaust tone change much, since the adjustments are incredibly fine, versus the old-school “hard” changeover of the old school VTEC.

I still hear it though. then is there something wrong with my VTEC? AHHH MY VTEC AIN"T WORKING!!! NOOOOO

No seriously, I hear changeover at 3000rpm, then a change at 4000, then at 5000, then at redline

You shouldn’t hear any changeover at redline, that’s for damn sure!

As for the others… that’s likely just the harmonics of the engine note, really. The whole point of variable timing control is that the engine is ALWAYS adjusting timing, not only at set rpm intervals. This “on-the-fly” adjusting ensures an optimization of the engine’s power throughout the rpm band… so it’s like a going up a smooth hill, not a series of steps.

If you want to know what actual VTEC is supposed to sound/feel like. Step into an old Integra GSR, or an S2000. You’ll not only hear the diff., you’ll REALLY feel it. Same with the new Civic Si; only this car has VTC (variable timing control), so it shouldn’t be a pronounced changeover, but because so many people complained that it was too smooth on the RSX-S, Honda engineered a forced audible “bump” at 6000 rpm just to please the ricers. :smiley:

*** Double post, my bad***

I feel the gradual pull once I’m past over 3000rpm.

VTEC!!!

Oh, i dont meant a change of note at redline, i meant right before redline.
The engine note changes consisently, but you can still tell a difference sometimes that it’s not perfectly smooth (although the powerband is).

I agree that you’ll hear a change in tone throughout. That’s got nothing to do with variable timing, though. The pull you feel above 3000 rpm is just that. Pull. It’s not “VTEC.” That sort of engagement would occur higher in the RPM band. The VQ engine does what it does based on classic design: displacement.

Sorry to burst your bubble, bro… but you aren’t feeling the honda-like VTEC kick, because it’s just not there.

of course not, but I’m still simply gonna call it VTEC cause it’s funny :smiley:

Nissan with VTEC!!!

Oh, I just thought of something… I’ve never sat in a car with VTEC or VVTL(Toyotas)…

If you know any Honda salesman or are good terms with someone who is, ask to take an Si for a test drive. You’ll know what it feels like then :R

Hahaha. Maybe I’ll try that…

I wanna try S2k’s more. Great handling car!

the nissan have had the vtec thing since the begining, its actually called VTC, this is what it sounds like

youtu.be/mcT87RSJHuQ

and this is what a modified vtc nissan engine can do…VVVV

youtu.be/uHxMRNpgxqY