RPM's

i had a civic which i liked getting into the high RPM’s… now i have an S14, and i wanna do a KA-T this summer, my thing is i want to be like at 8200RPM range… im new to Nissan engines, so can i get some advice!! please and thank you!

Why do you need that RPM?

You will get that on a KA for about 0.005 seconds and kaboom.

There is no need for that RPM with a Nissan motor.

My .02 cents.

i don’t understand why people think KA’s are made of glass, i missed a couple shifts on mine that had 280,000km on it and went to at least 8,000rpm and it didn’t care.

though i don’t recommend running a stock KA at that speed on a regular basis, it’s doable with a properly built engine.

and i also agree that it’s pointless. engines that make torque don’t need rpm. honda doesn’t know what torque means so they make it rev to a billion rpms where it can actually get some useful power (and no, i’m not just pointlessly bashing honda, i drive one right now).

reason i asked, im just use to the high RPM’s i guess i should adjust…

Not all cars need to hit 9000 rpm to get power :stuck_out_tongue:

from my experience,
you can redline a 240 as much as you want on the stock motors if they were maintained properly… never really been an issue other than smell…

No…don’t do that…why adjust?

Why not make better?

Every motor will be better off with more rpm (assuming done right). If you want more RPM, build for it.

hondas need to rev high because they have very short gears

nissans have long gears so you dont need to rev high

… just… wow… :ugh:

On the KA motor, torque and horsepower drop after 5500rpms. Revving higher is for gay vtac motors which have no power from 1 through 5k rpm. If you want to rev high, you will need better cams. The down fall is the motor will lose some torque, but you will gain a few HP up top. You should probably just turbo the motor and not worry about 6.5k beyond, it will be a killer motor at the strip or the track.

its true

while i understand what you’re trying to say, i think you have it backwards. the cart wasn’t built before the horse… transmissions are designed to multiply engine torque and transfer it to the wheels.

what i ment was …

a honda transmission is much shorter gear ratio which means the engine must rev alot higher to reach the same speed as say a nissan transmission in the same gear

Still way in left field. Where they make power, and gear ratios are two different things.

…LMAO

Wow… just wow…

www.howstuffworks.com <– read it learn it love it!

Variable valve timing will help with a better torque range throughout the powerband. Nissan SR motors did come with VCT so I fail to see why bashing vtec is helpful to any opinion.

I do see vct to be similar to vtec since they both change the cam profile at different RPM.

The only other advise we can offer is to get a S14 SR20DET.

Go CA…

if u want high rpm turbo fun :wink:

as long as you don’t bash around
like you did your civic…

Im bashing vtec (not iVTEC) because they make no usable torque. There is absolutely no need to go upto 7k rpm to reach maximum power. If you still think that is not a good reason to bash them. There are people who swap regular non vtec motors like a b18,b20z to the short geared transmissions used by vtec motors, and they achieve better times at the track.

Compare torque ranges of the KA Vs D series, B Series, and H series. and see which motor produces it first and the most. The KA doesn’t need VTC or VTEC because it has a long stroke and balance of both performance and fuel economy with its displacement. I haven’t driven in an SR, but from what I understand, the S14 SR20 only makes 15hp more then the S13 without VTC, they also make the same amount of torque at 4k rpm.

If you want to rev high on the KA, change out the cams as the engine has a hard time sucking air beyond 6k. Either get some crower cams, or do the hot cams swap which is s13 248 exhaust installed 4 teeth counter clock wise on the intake, and install an S13 exhaust cam on the exhaust side of the S14 KA motor. Then build up the bottom end. You will sacrifice 5 - 10lbs torque and gain about the same or more in HP when turbocharged.