Webcam stopped working ?? computer nerds in

I brought a brand new webcam, HP 1080/720p thing with autofocus. It came in last week and worked fine. Windows loaded the driver right as I installed it but now a few days later I plugged it in and nothing.

Windows doesn’t acknowledge that it’s plugged in at all. no sound, no popups, it doesn’t appear in device manager, nothing.

The power light on the camera does come on though.

How do I go about trouble shooting this? I tried messing with drivers but it won’t let me repair or update them if the camera is not plugged in.

Did you try other USB ports? No sound, etc. means Window isn’t seeing it. The light turns on because the machine is, technically, giving it power.

yep, switched the ports with my keyboard and mouse. Windows didn’t see it anywhere.

Try completely removing the drivers for the device via device manager (right click and do ‘uninstall drivers’) and see if when you re-insert it if Windows tries to install it again.

Be careful next time when blowing your load. Cams don’t like semen. Ask me how I know.

:rofl

Plug it into a different machine if possible. I’m leaning towards USB cable damage, this will confirm it. Webcams will install using the generic video driver if you don’t install the software, so I highly doubt it’s a driver problem.

Just because power is being supplied doesn’t mean that it’s good, it just means that the VCC and ground are making a connection, either of the data wires could be damaged.

http://andertorrado.wikispaces.com/file/view/patillaje_conector_USB.JPG

Have you tried restarting?

Is the computer plugged in?

Try unplugging the plugs and blowing on them.

yep, yep, yep. Blew on them like the last of the Nintendo generation.

Deleted all the usb drivers and had them reinstall too. I’m guessing its a dead wire/connector like JD said.

Now the question is, do I crack it open and attempt to fix or pay shipping to return.`

SLICE IT THE FUCK OPEN

Cut that bitch, it’s only 5 wires or so

quit fucking cybering like a n00b and you won’t need a webcam.

doesn’t look like I can just pull the usb plastic in half. Stupid webcam. I hope its not too late to return.

Is it an expensive one? if it’s one of the cheap $20 ones…just go get another.

Have you tried hitting it?