Weighed the F-bucket last night...

Weight Reduction: !back seat/belts, !AC
Weight Addition: Wolfe 6-Point Bolt-In Rollbar, STB, Heavy ass 17x9/11s

The Damage: 3350

This was w/ only a 1/4 of a tank of gas though. With a full tank it’d be right on 3450. It’s piggy. Well, very average for a F-bucket but piggy in the world of AutoX. And the weight distribution SUCKED BALLZ, especially w/ the gas tank being low (since the additional 100lbs of a full tank would be all out back). It was 1950/1400 which works out to about 58/42. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: Figuring 100lbs for a full tank out back and it’d be 1950/1500 for about 57/43 which is about factory figures.

I have a Tubular front K-Member and front A-arms that should take ~50lbs off the front. Tubular solid motor mounts for another ~10lbs, I’m now commited to a pin-on Fiberglass Hood (probably just stock Z/28 style) for a 40lbs reduction, relocate the battery for ~30lbs off the front and moved to the back. With those changes it’d be about 1820/1530 w/ a full tank. For a full-tank weight of 3350 and about 54/46. Still shitty… but moving the right direction.

Now how the fuck am I going to get this thing down to 3100 and 52/48 by next spring???

As a side-note (and probably the only part of this thread to get any interest) my buddy’s LS1->RX7 weighed in at 2920 w/ a full tank of gas and about 50lbs of dynamat in the hatch area. Oh, and the kicker was the PERFECT 50/50 weight distribution.

-TJ

make darkstar sit in the trunk?

headers weight less than manifolds.

I forgot 'bout that. I have stock iron manis right now so when I go to the headers (and delete AIR and EGR at the same time) I’ll probably lose ~20lbs. I also forgot to figure in removing the front bumper supports and 5mph impact foam etc. That’s said to be worth ~40lbs. I’m thinking of taking out the Cruise Control stuff too. I don’t think that’s worth much weight though. Lightweight steering wheel and delete both airbags will be maybe ~20-30 (I hear the brackets for the pass. airbag are heavy). Lightweight race seats/harnesses. And some other shit will help. But still 3100 and 52/48 is gonna be tough. :frowning:

-TJ

How about Lexan windows? lol. Yeah, thats a little extreme. How nuts are you going to go with it? Im sure you might be able to remove some weight from the inside of the doors somewhere, but that comprimises streetability. what kind of exhaust you do you have?

Maybe get one that dumps on the underside of the car to remove some weight from the rear section of the exhaust. Of coarse that throws off the rear balance too. Would that also throw you out of the class your running?

I like the way you think. :wink:

I already have looked into Lexan for the weindsheild and hatch. That’s save over 100lbs right there (I have miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiles of glass on this car). The quality of modern Lexan is really good. It’s clear, highly scratch resistant, anti-fogging etc. But the right way to mount them is w/ screws rather than windshield adhesive so it starts to make the car “look” a lot more raaaaace-caaaaah. Plus they require at least one top-to-bottom brace behind them. I’m going for somewhat of a more sleeper look. I still haven’t rulled them out though. 100lbs is hard to say no to.

My current exhaust is stock manis/cats (heavy) and a stock Y-pipe. I cut the Y-pipe about 3-4" after it comes back down to 1 pipe and then welded on a dump. So I already cut out 30-40lbs there. I have long tube headers and a true dual that dumps under the car waiting for it though. That’ll maybe shave a few lbs. by gettin’ rid of the iron manis but there’s more/bigger pipe for the true duals. At least it’s not a full exhaust though.

As for class I’ll be running OSP. It’s basically a catch-all class for pretty highly modded street cars. More or less you need a registered street car on DOT tires. That’s about the extent of the limitations. I’ll be running against my buddies LS1->RX7s and a 435cui Mallet 'vette that comes out a lot (though I beat him most of the time already).

-TJ

you could go on a diet, or hire a midget

How much do the stock body pannels weight? Like I said… maybe pick up some spare doors… hack out the side beams, doors are heavy as fuck anymore. Fuck my CRX doors from 85 were like 65lbs with glass lol. I can’t imagine what the hell yours weight. Your concern seems to be the front end more then anything. I dont want to mention tomuch in the rear because that would throw the cars balance off.

I want to get back into running but I keep forgetting to check the dates out here.

aren’t f body doors known to be especially heavy???

take out door bars

Also in the plans. Though I’m not 100% sure I want to lose my side-impact protection. The car is still street driven on a regular basis. It’s not my DD but I take it out plenty.

-TJ

the roll bar & subs takes care of that!

No subs. Just a Wolfe 6-Point Bolt-In Roll Bar.

-TJ

ya, for a sportscar atleast

u have it coverd!