Weight reduction aka getting back into shape.

The infamous new years resolution that never seems to come true half a year later. :ponder

Wouldn’t it be nice if it just magically happened?

With the way gas prices are going ever pound removed is a penny saved plus it’s just plain healthy to be in shape, as long as that shape isn’t round.

The physics are simple - take in less then you use (calorie wise). However in the real world things get a little more complicated then that.

Home cooked meals come in unknown calorie amounts and counting calories is not something people look forward to doing so here are some basic rules of thumb.

• No Soda, of any kind.
  • Drink lots of water, ice water is better because the body has to burn more calories to warm the water.
  • Avoid beer.
  • No fast food.
  • Cardio exercise is great for burning calories.
  • Eat 5 small meals a day to keep metabolism running.
  • Don’t wait until you’re starving to eat, millions of years of evolution will make your body to “store” any food it gets when it feels like you’re starving.
  • Full grain oatmeal is great food to make you feel full.
  • Eat fruit.
  • Don’t expect drastic changes, a pound a week is good progress.
  • Take in some sort of protein to make sure that the weight you lose isn’t muscle.
  • Eat breakfast, it is the most important meal of the day.

With that said, over the past month, I went from 173 to 164 with those steps above. I started taking my road 10spd bicycle 3 days a week for 6 miles a day.

I’ll keep updating this with progress, if anybody else cares to join me and keep track of progress feel free. It’s good motivation.

:thumb

Ah, damn it Vlad.

I’m in.

Quit smoking, might as well make an effort to get in shape.

noodz?

:confused

i actually started drinking water, going to the gym 3 times a week, and the alcohol… well im trying to cut back, but def not tonight. i’m down to like 185, and i do feel better already, if i hit 175 and gain a little muscle i’ll be back to comfortable

Just remember you can’t lose weight without losing muscle and you can’t gain muscle without gaining some fat.

lifting is the way to go and a def easy way to keep it off. I believe I’ve said this before, but a pound of muscle takes 60 calories a day just to maintain itself. Thats why all those meatheads eat and drink as much as they want and don’t have to worry about shit.

I’m way biased since I HATE running or biking or doing anything of the sort.

I hear ya man… I put on quite a few. :sad

I stick to a pretty good routine. I work out 6 days a week for an hour and a half, train 3-4 days a week for atleast 2 hours. I haven’t eaten fast food in well over 2 1/2 years, rarely ever do I drink soda. Almost no junk food is in my diet. I do leave drinking though for the weekends and try to only limit myself to drinking once a week. Lots of water, steak, fish, 3 protein shakes a day.

Last February i went on the south beach diet, In 3 months i went from 298lbs to 260lbs and then went off the diet because i was tired of it. I havent gained 1lb back and in fact have lost 10 more lbs since then. Id like to get down to 200 like i was in high school. I am 250 now

avoid beer?

I cant do it

Drink liqour.

O_O

Wow. There’s an idea.
Use preventative methods, instead of waiting for healthcare to skyrocket even more cause everyone is unhealthy as fuck.

Protien alone won’t keep muscle loss from happening, you have to actually be using said muscles as well. If your not using your muscles you will lose them, wether your cutting calories or not. Another good thing to do is every few weeks eat a little more for a period of time to boost your metabolism back up. If your continually cutting calories your body is continually trying to adapt and slow your metabolism, not a good thing. For people that have trouble keeping to a diet every day a little cheating here and there is NOT a deal breaker, especially if it helps you get the mental drive to be strict on the diet the rest of the time. A lot of diets actually include a cheat day once a week, and its amazing how good that pizza tastes after eating the same food every day of a super strict diet.

im down for that sort of thing

You can say that again. In reality most of the food will taste like a slice of heaven which you’re not allowing yourself in the diet. Humans want what they can’t have, it’s wired into our brain. The more foods you exclude from your diet the more cravings you will have as well.

I’ll weight in twice a week to check on progress.

I’ve lost 100lb since last year and I’m trying to ultimately get down to 180.

My weight has fluctuated 30-75LBS after many knee injuries in college. I was forced to change positions in football and I lost about 60LBS in 3 months. It was a weird sight.

Basically, I did the following:

No eating out at all (Very easy to spend $5-$15 on chinese/pizza and even have it delivered)
No alcohol
Worked out 4-5 days a week and ran daily (That’s overkill but I was training)
No sugar (Drank water/skim milk/tea)
A lot of lean cold kuts and chicken
Did not eat AT ALL passed 7
Ate 3-5 meals

That’s about it. I removed a lot of the bad shit out of my diet, went to the gym, and was consistant.

if you’re gaining/not losing excess weight, that either means you’re not getting enough physical activity, or overeating, or both.
myself I rarely ever feel genuinely hungry, so I probably don’t eat as much as I should be.
coupled with working in a physically demanding night-shift job, I am losing weight right now, even though I’m under what I want to be.