weird bubbling sound from engine bay...

my head gasket is blown, my oil turned a coffee colour and like rotten milk thinkness, kinda nasty! but i got an oil change right b4 i parked it, anywho, i had a loss of power, it didn’t have the power it had b4, white smoke was coming out of my exhaust and it was overheating. i havn’t done anything to it, i didn’t check to see if it was just a thermostat, mainly b/c there was antifreez in my oil, but all i did is parked it and bought parts. soon here we will find out if it really was the head gasket, it’s gettin changed either way.

hmm yea, well when i did an oil change a bit over a week ago, the oil was still pretty clean(but it was after only about a month’s use)…hmm the car does get a bit of smoke out the back but nothing that seems too drastic…i’ll have to investigate some more

hey, sorry to bring this topic back up, but today my car overheated again in the usual place(getting off the gardiner on spadina and stopping at the first light on spadina, that steep uphill road in front of the Rogers Centre), and i kept driving and it stayed up this time, usually it goes back down almost instantly after getting over thehill…so i pulled into the Petro there and turned the engine off, the bubbling sound came again so i popped the hood, sure enough the reservoir tank was full (almost to the top) of coolant and it was boiling in there…i let it cool a bit, then(with my thick safety gloves of course) took off the cap of the radiator, and it steamed out a bit(since i let it cool down a bit)

k so here’s my question…if i have a blown head gasket, would it cause the coolant to heat up? how does the headgasket being blown cause this to happen? I’ve tried yahooing this, but it’s all topics about “how to know” if you have a blown headgasket or “what caused overheating” type of stuff…

I just want to know since i think something else caused this engine to overheat which caused the head gasket to blow…the previous owner just replaced the water pump…could it be that the radiator is bad? which is causing it to overheat? or my clutch fan? the fan spins, but i dont know if it’s spinning on both speeds(clutchtype fans have two speeds i think? one constantly on, then when it heats up, spins faster?)

thanks in advance

Clutch fans have 2 speeds? I think it’s always on at one speed cuz it’s connected to one of the pulleys.

That’s your thermostat, almost indefinitely - even though you already changed it.

Change it (maybe use the Nissan part if you didn’t…?) and flush the system. You could also try the “boiling water” test to see if it opens correctly.

Oh and don’t drive while it’s overheating, or it could quickly become your head gasket as a result of the overheating that only your thermostat caused!

Good luck.

Hehehe I remember when mine went, it was awsome, all the coolant was dumped into my 4th cyl and then with a lot clowed of pretty shile smoke my KA went Kaput

Thermosat yes; but also check for air in your coolant lines… Also inspect the waterpump…

well the waterpump was brand new when i bought it(about two months now?) so id ont think that is it…but the thing is, how come it only overheats when i’m on that one uphill on spadina? when i go up to bathurst/davenport hill it’s fine…wouldnt thermostat be a more consistent thing on any road rather than just uphill?

When going uphill your putting load on your motor. Have you had your coolant checked? Do you have all the OEM cooling shrouds/fans on?

1. Radiator Shroud
  2. Clutch Fan
  3. Unerbody shroud (bumper to cross member)

How does your radiator look?

damn totally off topic here but scribbles that vid in your sig is wicked lol!!

hmm yea i gotta check for those