weird bubbling sound from engine bay...

hey guys, i was driving home today, and when i parked my car and turned it off, i heard this bubbling sound like something was being drained, so i popped the hood and it was the coolant flushing out i guess? but anyway, it was filling into the coolant reservoir, and went far past the max point…near to the top of the tank…is this right? what would cause this? i thought it wasnt supposed to go past the max point…

Keep a close eye on your coolant temperature gauge, I bet your thermostat is starting to become a problem.

Or just flush the cooling system and replace the thermostat as maintenance if you haven’t recently.

Good luck.

yea evberytime i drive i keep an eye on the temp gauge…i replaced the t-stat recently(a month ago?) and flushed the coolant system out…but i’ve been having a few overheating problems here n there, i think when i’m going uphill(well stop on uphill, then continue driving, say at a red light on an uphill), the temp gauge goes up quick…i’m pretty sure i aired out the system, i left the car running with the rad cap off for quite some time, enough coolant kept spewing out of the rad cap lol…but yea i took al ook today and it wasnt topped up…but i dont see any leaks…on my driveway there isnt any sign of leakage…so i dont know where the coolant is going lol i always top it up, then next time i check, it’s low again…

Air in cooling system, or worse, faulty head gasket. Both will cause bubbling, although there’s a higher chance of it being the latter unfortunatly.

i would go with air in ur system. Start the car up open the radiator and let it warm up and add some more coolant at the same time. When it gets up to optimum temperature let it sit for a couple minutes untill all the air is out(u can squeeze the top rad hose and see air come out) and then u should be good to go.

Only other things not mentiond is ur clutch fan could be gone or going.

Could be the head gasket.

Pop your hood open, take the rad cap off and start your car with the engine cold.

If your rad is bubbling air out of the filler neck (on a cold engine) then you could have a blown gasket.

It might not hurt to replace your rad cap actually to ensure it’s holding pressure.

Good luck.

ok so i’m well past the point of “why is my car overheating???” i know my head gasket is gone and i already have a ton of new parts to replace on this ka24e(so u know) my ? to u being that were taking about head’s anyways, once you have the head off(cam and all still on) can u still get it pressure checked and machined down or am i gonna have to take off the cam and vales etc? i would like to do this myself, but im not going to know if it’s warped or not, or is there a way to tell, i mean a crack is kinda different, but could be hard to spot. am i suppose to just tie down the cam so it dont move so it can be checked? dont check it just machine it?

hmm 'll try the cold start/rad cap thing…yea i think the headgasket could be blown, the guy before me that had the car said the car overheated n he thought the head gasket blew…what are the results of a blown headgasket? i mean the car’s been running more or less fine since i’ve had it besides the heating, n i replaced the thermostat, drive’s fine 99% of the time…rarely it over heats now…
if the headgasket is blown, will it get “worse” gradually? and what symptoms? cuz again, the car drives fine n all for the most part

my head gasket is blown, my oil turned a coffee colour and like rotten milk thinkness, kinda nasty! but i got an oil change right b4 i parked it, anywho, i had a loss of power, it didn’t have the power it had b4, white smoke was coming out of my exhaust and it was overheating. i havn’t done anything to it, i didn’t check to see if it was just a thermostat, mainly b/c there was antifreez in my oil, but all i did is parked it and bought parts. soon here we will find out if it really was the head gasket, it’s gettin changed either way.

hmm yea, well when i did an oil change a bit over a week ago, the oil was still pretty clean(but it was after only about a month’s use)…hmm the car does get a bit of smoke out the back but nothing that seems too drastic…i’ll have to investigate some more

hey guys, i was driving home today, and when i parked my car and turned it off, i heard this bubbling sound like something was being drained, so i popped the hood and it was the coolant flushing out i guess? but anyway, it was filling into the coolant reservoir, and went far past the max point…near to the top of the tank…is this right? what would cause this? i thought it wasnt supposed to go past the max point…

Keep a close eye on your coolant temperature gauge, I bet your thermostat is starting to become a problem.

Or just flush the cooling system and replace the thermostat as maintenance if you haven’t recently.

Good luck.

yea evberytime i drive i keep an eye on the temp gauge…i replaced the t-stat recently(a month ago?) and flushed the coolant system out…but i’ve been having a few overheating problems here n there, i think when i’m going uphill(well stop on uphill, then continue driving, say at a red light on an uphill), the temp gauge goes up quick…i’m pretty sure i aired out the system, i left the car running with the rad cap off for quite some time, enough coolant kept spewing out of the rad cap lol…but yea i took al ook today and it wasnt topped up…but i dont see any leaks…on my driveway there isnt any sign of leakage…so i dont know where the coolant is going lol i always top it up, then next time i check, it’s low again…

Air in cooling system, or worse, faulty head gasket. Both will cause bubbling, although there’s a higher chance of it being the latter unfortunatly.

i would go with air in ur system. Start the car up open the radiator and let it warm up and add some more coolant at the same time. When it gets up to optimum temperature let it sit for a couple minutes untill all the air is out(u can squeeze the top rad hose and see air come out) and then u should be good to go.

Only other things not mentiond is ur clutch fan could be gone or going.

Could be the head gasket.

Pop your hood open, take the rad cap off and start your car with the engine cold.

If your rad is bubbling air out of the filler neck (on a cold engine) then you could have a blown gasket.

It might not hurt to replace your rad cap actually to ensure it’s holding pressure.

Good luck.

ok so i’m well past the point of “why is my car overheating???” i know my head gasket is gone and i already have a ton of new parts to replace on this ka24e(so u know) my ? to u being that were taking about head’s anyways, once you have the head off(cam and all still on) can u still get it pressure checked and machined down or am i gonna have to take off the cam and vales etc? i would like to do this myself, but im not going to know if it’s warped or not, or is there a way to tell, i mean a crack is kinda different, but could be hard to spot. am i suppose to just tie down the cam so it dont move so it can be checked? dont check it just machine it?

hmm 'll try the cold start/rad cap thing…yea i think the headgasket could be blown, the guy before me that had the car said the car overheated n he thought the head gasket blew…what are the results of a blown headgasket? i mean the car’s been running more or less fine since i’ve had it besides the heating, n i replaced the thermostat, drive’s fine 99% of the time…rarely it over heats now…
if the headgasket is blown, will it get “worse” gradually? and what symptoms? cuz again, the car drives fine n all for the most part