KA overflow tank issue, help?

alright, i’ve come across a problem and i’m not totally sure what the issue is. ideas?

what happens is i turn the car on, and it runs fine for the first couple of mins until the car warms up, but then more and more coolant starts getting stuck in the overflow tank to the point where it’s basically filled all the way to the top and starts bubbling like a kettle, and as a result my temp gauge keeps going higher and higher till it’s pretty much all the way to H.

i’ve done a couple of things already like replaced the rad (which currently has no leaks and is working fine), replaced the thermostat, and flushed the system and properly bled it.

there is no white smoke blowing out the back, nor do i have chocolate milk looking oil, so the head gasket seems to be fine.

is it my water pump that needs replacing? one thing i’ve noticed is that the top rad hose thats gets the water from the engine into the rad is making some gurgling noises? and the water doesnt seem to travel all that smoothly inside the hose.

ideas?

i have the same thing that started yesterday with my sunfire tho. let me know if you figure anything out that maybe relivent to my situation

Thats odd…I would pressure test the coolant system and run a compression test on the motor if the tools are handy.

I can guess 4-5 possibilities but that wouldn’t help much, my KA did similar and it was the HG.

There could be alot of air inside the cooling system, try bleeding it. Or do a compression test like Devo ^^ said, i have a snap on compression tester and will be in etobicoke tmrw, i can let u use it if you swing me some gas money. PM if interested.

or thermostat stuck closed…

^ yeah either your head gasket or a major air pocekt. but the way your saying it boils. my guess is the head gasket.

sounds like a cracked HG. Enough to pressurize your cooling system with engine gases, but not enough to let oil/coolant through.

how can i make sure it’s my hg? compression test?

edit: i think it’s much more likely the water pump, everyone is saying hg though. and its NOT the thermostat, i just replaced it

frozen/stuck thermostat maybe?

head gasket for sure.

seen this happen many times, exactly the way you describe it. (i.e no milky oil/coolent). be sure to deck the head to cause it might be caused by that.

You can try replacing the water pump to satisfy your curiosity if you want, its an easy and quick job to do, plus its one less thing to worry about. However, I’m pretty sure that won’t solve your problem :confused: I know it’s hard to accept lol, but you might need a HG.

I FIXED IT!
so i was pretty skeptical about starting to replace things like the headgasket or water pump. i wanted to make sure i diagnosed the source of the problem as well as i could before starting anything. and usually (at least for me), it ends up being something much simpler, and i would have ended up spending money and doing work i didn’t have to do.

anyway, i simply decided to use the rad cap that was on my old radiator (the one thats cracked), and it works! i didn’t think it was going to because this is the same rad/cap that got the coolant stuck in the overflow to begin with, but i guess it wasn’t the cap that was causing the problem, it was the rad. the cap on my “new” rad looks much newer and in better condition, so i didn’t bother trying the old one, but turns out the new one wasn’t working properly. not sure how its going to turn out after driving for a long period of time, but after letting the car warm up for ~25 mins, everything seems to check out: maintaining proper heat level, proper idle, no rad leak anywhere in sight, no white smoke, overflow tank was NOT overflowing.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_WH2yh36c2LM/SFp88kcLnpI/AAAAAAAAAJY/W33ZQRHlZsk/s400/Kool-AidMan.jpg

great news, sometimes we forget to check the simplest things haha!

mine tured out to be HG so its dead lol

good to know she’s fixed man