Well, thats enough datsun for this season.

+1

You were smart enough to carry a fire extinguisher. Both my Mustang and Evolution have one.

I’ve had mice get into my Mustang before, it happens. Do they make Painless kits for the Z?

Look on the bright side… at least there was no carpet to hold the smoke smell later on.

for sale?

meh i expected to come in here and see it wrapped around a tree…

There is NOTHING painless about a Z.

Fix it and more burn outs.

Just not quite so literally.

Right now it needs an instrument harness, dash harness, heater thing (i was planning on using it, just needed 2 lines plumbed) part of the body harness is toasted, so i need one of those too…

And the dash is kinda melted inside it, i dont know if it will smell like burning forever or not. I’m going to take this list of parts to the stealership and see how much they cost. I am not re-using a 35 year old harness out of a JY after this happened, sealed NOS parts are the way to go from now on.

Looks like about $375 for the universal 18-circuit PAINLESS kit…

Let us know how that works out for you lol

its for insurance purposes… they need a quote of how much parts are and what the labor is, i told them i could do it myself for less but they keep telling me the dealer should do it.

If they want to shell out the extra cash, why not…

And for those wondering this is the damage:

Dash harness
Instrument harness
AC/Climate control box
fanbox behind it
Assorted vent tubes

Keep in mind this is just what i can see before removing the dashboard, parts of the interior of the dash is kinda melty…

The only parts that nissan was able to look up was the harness… 1500$ I’m assuming the other things are going to be 200-350$ tops if i can find them.

However they did quote me on a labor cost it literally says “ballpark figure of 20-24 hours @ 98.95/hr” They can’t give me a perfect quote because they cant go back far enough to see how much time removing the dash is + harness install and all the other goodies.

Its not looking good, they might total it :frowning: i’ll be pissed.

They’ll total it. No ifs and’s or But’s.

they’ll total it, but there’s ways they can total it and you can still keep it/drive it…happened to my friend mike with his '94 ranger. he got rear ended and the bed/tailgate damage estimate was $1500 so they “totalled” his truck, cut him a check for $1500, and said as long as he continued to renew the reg and drive it that he wouldn’t have to file for a salvage-rebuilt title and deal with all that BS. he threw a new bed on it from M&M and still drives it 3yrs later.

donate it back to john, so he can fix your fuck-up-i-ness

^ small time

yup, I built it so it could be beat on. just not to the point that it’d try to kill itself…

Painless wiring harness. Done. You could have it driving again in a day. Those cars are fucking simple.

As far as going to the dealer for parts, I went to the Nissan dealer in op for a clutch slave cylinder when the car had the l28 in it. I walke in “I need a clutch slave cyl. for my '77 Datsun 280Z”
Parts guy:“what’s a Datsun?”
Nevermind

Didn’t happen.