Wet noodle rod

Nope…just not in my threads. Keep it clean, I would greatly appreciate it. thanks :thumbup

holy shit!

yeah the sound was terrible!

Poor Chris’s face today was worse than the sound :frowning: I fucking hate giving bad news, and I always end up giving bad news :banghead I just want one of those issues where it’s like “oh man no worries it was just this stupid $2 part”

Guess you got to pay to play!

how much power does this mod add?

looks like adams stock 5.0 back in the day!

Jesus man, I didn’t even see this till today, nor was I aware his car took a dump. What a shame. I really need to come out of the garage more.

We really had know idea what happened when the sound started. I’m glad I decided to take the trip to go tow the car home vs having him drive it as it would have certainly let go. 100% sure of that. I really thought from the sound that it was a cracked piston due to the frequency. Definitely didn’t sound like a rod knock at the time. The noise turned out to be the rod slapping the crank one per rev.

The extent of the damage could have been far greater. If this was a 993 the rods would have snapped no questions, and we’d be looking at a ~20-22K core motor + any build costs.

Today I mag’ed the crank and put it on the crank straightener to see what run out it would sure have had. Turned out dead zero on both accounts! I would have surely put money down that the crank would have at least had a few thousandths RO due to the rod strike on the #3 journal. There is still damage to the #3 rod journal thrust and I’m going to have to submerge arc weld the thrust, machine, and then have the crank nitrided again. Still going to be far cheaper than replacing the crank, which floats around 3K new.

I also went and zyglo’ed the case today for obvious signs of cracking due to side loading and found nothing. The thrust on main #1 was worn quite a bit but likely due to the axial load from the intermediate shaft. I still have to put this through the cold tank to remove the chassis undercoating the jet wash failed to remove and redo the process, but it looks as though the case may be good as well. Nice because like the crank, an M96 7R case is not cheap at all. Could modify and M64 7R case but even those go for a hefty price when one is found IGC.

Lot’s to do yet. Will keep updates flowing.

my diff is small potatoes :frowning: :rofl

IDK whats funnier… this comment or the fack that it took me a good 2 minutes to realize what it said

:facepalm
:rofl:rofl

and god damn that sucks! chirs you just have bad luck buddy

yeah I’ll see what rolling around inside that case tomorrow at some point

Sucks, I was under the impression that these motors could handle more power stock, altough I’m the first to admit that I know very, very little about the brand in question.

Don’t worry, after reading BoxerSix updates it’s normal for one’s car-penis to shrink a few inches…

Does this lower the pirce on said Dumpy 996 drivetrain you have in the For Sale Section

totally. I knock a couple grand off it :rofl

ik nothing about these but i thought they were good for like 800hp stock block?

depends on how that power comes on. You got to remember theres a big difference in load on a motor between a car that build’s 200ftlbs more torque than a 800whp 996 before 4K rpms. It’s like tripping the nitrous too soon. if the crank can’t transfer the torque to the wheels fast enough to either move the car or make the wheels spin, something is going to give.

There are a couple of these guys running sub 800’s on the stock motor with 30/35R power setups. These A28’s on Chris’s car spool insanely quick. Quicker than the hybrid 16G’s and make more power to boot. I have driven a shitload of big power 996’s and Chris is bay far the quickest out of the hole. Even’s Jacob’s Ruf BTR that I converted EFI/Biturbo can’t touch it, and it’s lighter and a bit more powerful(~650RWHP, K27’s).

I’ve got a set of Carrllos on the way here now. GT3 oil pump will likely find its way into this motor too. Still on the line as far as what pistons I’m going to spec for this. OE’s are about a grand per cylinder(~$6K) but I’m kinda thinking I might spec a set of custom slugs(cheaper than OE really) Have to sit down with Chris and go over some stuff but before that happens I still want to do a more careful inspection of the case and crank.

I’d honestly like to see the inside of the 817whp 30R car Tony tuned last year. Guess I’ll have to wait till it pops :tongue

$2400 of six parts win to be added to the mix…

Oh wow