Wet sanding question for all you paint BUFFS out there(You like what I did there eh!)

Hey guys! I am painting a bumper and I was wondering if I wet sand the final base coat with 2000 grit and polish with compound will clear coat still adhere? Will clear coat set up on a surface that has been polished?? Thanks!

Almost sure it won’t because the polish is a petroluem base forming a filim so there won’t be any adhesion.

That’s what I thought… I can understand polish but will rubbing compound do the same?? My main concern is how do I go about removing the scratches and haze from wet sanding before I lay down clear coat?

The clear will be very weak and eventually flake off.
The same reason you scuff paint before you re-paint it, it needs something to “hold” onto.

If you polish your base coat the clear, although a much heavier adhering product, will still have nothing to truly “hold” onto.

Don’t polish the base coat and just clean it before you put on your clear, you’ll be guaranteed a proper shine so long as you take previous precautions and proper steps thoroughly.

It’s all in the prep.

I think I need to be more specific. I need to cut out some tape marks and overspray before I lay clear. I’ll be honest I’m doing kind of a hack fix… There is one run that I want to remove and cut out the overspray before I lay the clear. I know I can wet sand this out but I need to restore the base before clear. How can I remove these imperfections before I lay clear??

Imagine you were painting racing stripes on a car. How do you blend the tape lines before you clear it??

Take a look at this video if you’ve never done this stuff before, it’s pretty good. Doesn’t matter if you roll or spray, the steps are the same and it gives you a good idea of the work involved to get a nice finish.
Someone else can prob tell you more about getting rid of the tape line, never done more than one color. I assume you just wetsand with fine paper.

Cool vid. I was using the Duplicolor Perfect Match. It’s lacquer paint so I might go the wet sand and polish route and wax the piss out of it for paint protection. That is unless I figure out how to clean up the base coat with out marring the surface…

2000 grit sand paper is also too fine. your best bet and what i was told from a retired painter is you spray your primer sand with 600 spray your base. Wait no longer then one day or till its all dry then spray your clear shouldnt need to scuff the base. you can scuff it but you shouldnt have to. then do your wet sanding with 2000 to the clear one week later and buff that out. enjoy your shinny bumper.