what are my management options???

NO never

My buddy who went 9.2 with a piggyback disagrees. :slight_smile:

lotta supras in the 9s with piggybacks

With piggyback you are forced to allow the stock ecu to apply its own formulas for determining the mount of fuel, injection timing, and ignition timing.

The ability to tune a piggyback is proportional to ones knowledge of the ECU’s logical diagram and its math functions. And also to a lesser extent, your ability to build voltage or current dividing circuits.

Stand alone allows you to vary the way in which the computer interprets the input data. This cannot be done with piggyback. With piggyback you are basically scaling the same shape Ev map that came from the factory. This can be done dynamically, but the shape never changes. With standalone you can adjust the shape to reflect your new Ev.

Ah. That’s not true. You can modify RPM points even with the S-AFC (AFC too technically even though you don’t have access to specified RPM points). Yes, you are modifying the input signal so you deal with the pre-configured maps but you CAN change the shape.

I agreed with everything you had to say up till this point .

The S-AFC is a signal manipulator. It changes the inputs, and not the “reasoning” of the computer. Sure its a complex, handy, signal manipulator you can do a lot with, but its still a signal modifier and nothing more.

Your talking about changing the shape of the inputs, and that is not what other people are talking about at all. Everyone else is talking about rational tuning setups with linear inputs and modified control theory.

S-AFC is just the best of the signal modifiers you know of. But in no way is it interacting with the computer at all. It only interacts with the signals.

This works well on your VR-4 because the shape of your stock tune, and the way your stock computer reasons. It works well for your car because your car already “thinks” like a turbo car. The OP’s honda only thinks in NA terms. It does not even have the proper inputs for measuring boost or dealing with it in any way.

The VR4 is not a Honda. Things that work well for you will not work well for the OP.

I’m sure people are tired of hearing it, but listen to Morgan!! He has tuned more cars than any of us, his actual experince is worth 1000 years of internet arguing and misinformation. If morgan says swap to OBD 1, and get a “chipped ECU” than this is the best option. AFAIK the chipped honda ECU’s are full standalone units basically. I think this is called Neptune? but I recall Morgan said something better than Neptune is now availible.

:thumbup