What are the best SUVs out there?

remember if your going to be towing at the max capacity that it is rated for, your going to be pushing it beyond its efficiency, basically pushing it at the limit will wear the driveline parts a little bit quicker.

so if your towing 5000lbs all the time, you may need to go up one level to a more powerful SUV to handle the load with less effort.

this is from what i learned with “rated” capacities, but i could be wrong.

i think you might need to upgrade the cooling for the transmission as well

your not gonna beat a domestic truck/suv for good reliable towing needs,
As your thinkin the tb and envoy are good smaller suv’s and do have lots of power to go with them,
http://images.trader.ca/autotrader/3/30/5677731.jpg.fpx?large
Thats on the trader for 7g’s, or even like what pat has would do fine, the lowerd 1500 chev or gmc what ever it is to tow his corolla

not sure of the towing capacity but we do have a mutual friend who used to tow his boat with his older 4 runner from 19__ (Dave D) so im sure it can handle the job and in regards to picking a domestic, But if your lookin for a newer one go for the envoy, it doesnt seem like a bad truck (someone correct me if im wrong)

i mean you may even wanna consider an older Jeep YJ since it may be able to do the job (didnt do research, its too late for me, sry) and they’re relatively cheap im price.

if your willing to go for a truck, find a GMC Sierra, or a Chevy Silverado; you could even look for one with a quad cab, would take care of the kid pretty well heh. The silverado would do a good job tho, thats the utility vehicle that the canadian forces use right now (we nicknamed it the milverado lols)

yeah thats my lil blurb about this matter heh

thouse trailblazers are HORRIBLE on gas, and thouse older models with the 4.6V6 although have good engines, to have some 4x4 issues which can be costly. I know a few people with the jeep v8s. and i knowthe 5.9L V8 was a FAST pos. Id say, go with the jeep, okay gas comsumption, lots of power and not too costly on the repairs, just find one thats not rotted, and DONT" buy the inline 6.

hahahaha “facts” SuV’s are more complex regarding performance when it comes to comparing “FACTS” to real life. V6 Vs inline ^ lol, whats your point.

listed 6,200lbs, means you’ll be pulling about 4,900lbs with normal efficiency.

^^^THANK YOU!!!, Duckjai, now you should understand, when i was telling you to look at V8 and full size suv’s was for this reason, those things pull somewhere 8000lbs and 6000lbs is normal for them to pull without damaging the suv at full max capacity.

yea, this old school yukon is the only one i’d go for, or the 2door z34 yukon, that thing is a beast.

^^^ Amen…lol yea honestly the only domestic i respect is the jeep, not as great as before but after a bad last few years they are getting back their game, i’d look at older jeeps too they are bullet proof specially the cherokee classic 2001 + models.

you should be looking at quad-cab pickups, they are for people who want suv space and big truck pulling power.

My neighbor has an Xterra he says its brutal on gas. A V6 in an SUV is weaksauce especially if you wanna tow shit. It will take so much gas to even pull it that you will waste more gas then if you had a V8 with more power pulling it. This is a common problem on older imports which is why all the newer trucks/S.U.V’s are going V8.

Another A+ comment, that is absolutely true, and yes i herd the Xterras were bad ass on guzzeling gas.

I was going to purchase a 2002 cherokee classic, 3 years ago, until a guy came to the dealership in a 02 silver cherookee, and the sales man said, “ahah hows the milage on that thing” the owner said “don’t joke with me about that, i want to burn it to the ground” so i herd that and saved my ass and got out of the 450 monthly payments i was going to get into, i could not believe the sales person sold me that jeep knowing that i asked him im lookinf for a regular v6 suv that uses not too much gas for a v6 compared to other suv’s, so yea "GTS-Tom is right, that cherokee was a 6 cylender too and it ate gas like crazy, i realised later that SUV’s work better when they have more torque and less weight to pull at lowest speeds possible. V8 are also better, because the torque on them is insane you could get probably 100 more torque on a v8 in ratio to its hp, which is what pulling power needs.

i just thought of this get a v8 deisel quad truck, that will be cheap pulling power, much cheaper than suv, with equal space, more pulling power, and if its for a business its even more profitable to you save on gas.

I saw people paying $170 for gmc full size v8’s that are deisel, and way more on escalades and such with smaller tanks that are gasoline.yes i have worked at a gas station back in the days.

thanks for the informative post

i think i’ll sway towards the v8, it does make sense that if you maximize efficiency beyond reasoning, it’ll work reverse just like economies of scale? or is it diminishing returns

but neways, my next choice for v8 was a dodge durango, but i hear dodge sucks balls on gas too

so any other alternatives that would work?

GMCs which ones? diesel?

i don’t want something ridiculously big.

thanks for all the comments and advice!

i’ve had good experiences with GMC Jimmys or how ever you spell it. they have a fair amount of room, my friend used it to transfer his toolbox around and according to him, it was a smooth ride and nothing was thrown around on city streets going over speed bumps, it seats like 5, id research it but im lazy. its a comfortable whip yo

s14 + trailer + rims + tools + few passengers

2700 + 1500? + 500 + 300 + 400?

why 4wd?
if your only goona get into some suck dirt roads a trailer and rwd is fine…

trucks act waay different than cars even if both are rwd

a 1500 pickup should do fine and the 2x4 is your best bet for fuel efficiency.

v6’s are almost as bad on gas as the v8’s are…no really not all that much different

my father in law has a 2001 s10 and he had an 88 1500 that he traded in for it.

he says the gas mileage is so close he shoulda gotten the 1500 again

awd in a truck burns close to 20-30% more than RWD
2x4 is a fair bit better except your carry-ing the weight of the front diff etc
when in RWD mode…so better, but not great.

if you are used to 4cyl fwd or rwd cars…heres a pretty close comparison.

a dodge 1500 with th e 5.2V8 to drive from
markham rd and 401 to
427 and hwy 7…using the 407!
costs arround $100-125/week in gas for the daily commute
with almost no weight

mapquest it for the mileage #'s but you’ll see thats about 3x as much gas as a 4cyl fwd car!!

this is a RWD truck not even 4x2…i did it daily for an old jobe when gas was 80-90 cents/litre

^^^ yup last few comments are true again.

ps: do not get the dodge durango, im assuming you’d be looking at the bubble one according to the price range you mentioned, they are nice suv’s but from experiance they can’t pull much, the durango’s are find just by themselves, but when it comes to pulling weight they bitch like crazy, and if im correct i think they have the lowest pulling capacity compared to other suv’s in its class.

I’d say go with any GM if looking for suv, ford if you are looking at a truck.

and good luck.

dude, my bro imported a ex-military Mecedes Benz G-wagon from austria. 10g’s landed, and its turbo diesel, so tons of torque and less fuel consumption.
and its got baller status