What car would you build?

TT LS1 build for my Z if I had the money

Do a LS1 swap, cut the block in half long ways :lol

Now that would be interesting… how bad is the balance thrown off though?

There are a lot of “monster miatas” as people call em out there. It only ads 250lbs to the front end of the car

Wow - yeah, I just found this from one of the FM guys:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Flyin-Miata-LS1-V8-Video_178991.htm

Setup link is in the description. Car weighed 2350 before the swap, and 2536 after. Weight distribution went from 51/49 to 52/48.

Turn my THIS:

http://photos-e.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v1915/251/76/17508480/n17508480_31533524_4059.jpg

Into THIS:

http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/5956/ltd0040309hs.jpg

So yea basically dog dishes and paint it black…but also make it go like it did in the movie…aka 460 and a TKO 600 :ahh

For the Miata- with an LS1 in place, weight distribution F/R goes from 50:50 to approx 52:48.

At a standstill.

But when your pinky toe hits the GO pedal, this changes rapidly…

From 52:48 to 0:100.

Most of the talk about V8 Miatas throwing off “balance” is unfounded… Some of it is balanced out by the use of the larger rear end and thicker driveshaft.

Not to mention those with boosted Miatas typically add about 40-50 lbs ahead of the CG anyways (in the form of a turbo, piping, I/C, etc).
That affects the balance as well.

Back on topic, I’ve said it before and I’ve said it again…

At $14k, I would build the poor man’s Elise-

Toyota MR-S with 2ZZ conversion, bolt ons + 6 spd, full suspension and lightened to 2000 lbs. 10:1 lb/hp and grippy.

And drive it everyday.

What gets used in the miata rear end for that type of swap, just out of curiosity?

Monster Miata kits (uses 302 V8) use the 7.5" diff from the Thunderbird/Cougars (early to mid 90s), FD is 3.27:1.

I think the Flyin Miata kit (uses LS1) uses the diff from a Cadillac CTS… I don’t know the FD offhand.

Couple stories from V8 miata owners on miataforums.com in a thread titled “Best Monster stories (no “kills” please)” :wtf they’re so damn civilized over there. I like shift better, haha

"Some one asked me if I had “changed the timing belt yet?” The car was parked And I was fueling up, so I opened the hood and said " yes I did "

“a couple of weeks ago I pulled up to a na 1st gen. at a light. he gave me a thumbs up and I gradually pulled ahead of him at a green. I guess he read my plates “stroker” because he pulled up next to me at the next light and said “wow that is a stroker 4 cylinder?”. I said “no it just has a K&N filter and an exhaust leak.” Then I nailed it at about a 40mph roll and kicked sideways like hell and time traveled.”

I was talking to a guy at work the other day about my 327 build…heads, pistons, carb, etc. It went something like this:

HIM: Watcha gonna put that in?

ME: My miata.

HIM: Why on heavens earth would you ever do something like that?

ME: If you don’t already understand then I probalby can’t explain it to you.

HIM: Fair nuff.

Pretty pointless, when you have to use all Rb25 parts. Onlything left is pretty much the block and turbos. why go through all that hassle. rb25>rb26

And nick, you already know my plans :number1

The RB26 block/heads are way better than the RB25. The only thing from an RB25 you probably need is the oil pan and transmission.

So you spend $3k on a shell, $3k on a motor/trans, $4k getting it in the car, $2k on chassis mods.

Wow that sounds really doable, not even kidding…I broke it down like this to show you that you wouldn’t have anything left after getting the car in, but damn. $14k does go quite a way

cheap, reliable, fast, you can only pick two

but that is also providing there are no hiccups along the way. As many of you know, swaps have a tendency to provide unseen hiccups lol

Yeah I kind of accounted for those hiccups in the price, if you can find decent deals you could do this for $14k easy.

Actually I’d probably do a 2JZGTE Lexus SC300.

2JZGTE in an AMC gremlin :ninja

True, that’s why my RB swap cost way more than I planned for.

put a SBC in a 240z/260z/280z