What causes a muffler to EXPLODE?

Original carb? I’ve heard the seals/floats in old carbs don’t like todays 10% based ethanol gasoline.

Same thing happened with my fathers van,we got a rebuild from autozone and got new plugs/wires and the new muffler hasn’t exploded.:stuck_out_tongue:

Change in temp, might need a carb adjustment. Otherwise it will run rich, and cause what your are talking about.

X…

:lolham:

[quote=“boardjnky4,post:15,topic:39334"”]

what the fuck is a muffler bearing?

[/quote]

Pump it more than 2ce in the morning? Choke not closing completely, so you gotta pump it a couple more times, unburnt fuel passes through the cylinders, into the exhaust & when she fires up, well, you know the rest.
Pump it Pump it, you gotta Puuummmppp It up!

On the old carbed cars, guys would downshift into a lower gear, turn the ignition off, pump the gas pedal a bunch of times, & turn the ign back on. Talk about a backfire!!!

I run a carb on my DD malibu…got the carb tuned good enough to where (even in 20deg. weather) I turn the kep to on, pump once to close the elec. choke, one more for a 2nd shot of gas. Crank for 2sec. fires right up.

If that car is all stock, it ~might~ have the valve on the pass. side right after the manifold. Its supposed to be for emmisions. If it stuck close, Id think it would cause the backfire. Also could just need a carb tune/rebuild…and Quadrajets arent the most fun.

I usually pump it quite a few times before starting, even when the weather warms up. I think the carb needs adjustment because it takes a little too long to start. I’m used to it though- I drove an old carbed Pontiac through 4 winters, and my Accord is carbed too.

If you need help lemmie know…I’ve owned enough Quadrajet/Holley/Carter carb’d cars, and rebuilt enough of them. I’m pretty good…lol If you want it to run good and don’t want to rebuild the carb and don’t mind spending the money. Look into a Quaddrajet from “The Carb Shop” I’ve heard good things about there mod’d Quads.

Thanks man! I’ll let you know.

[quote=“airhead,post:16,topic:39334"”]

Similar to blinker fluid

[/quote]

Still cant find a left handed screwdriver set anywhere!

[quote=“boardjnky4,post:15,topic:39334"”]

what the fuck is a muffler bearing?

[/quote]

oooohh boy.

FAIL.