What did you do at your WORK today?

Nothing

-Refactored some underlying billing code. Cut the amount of code just about in half.
-Started working on saving window states for when the application closes.
-Went to Subway for lunch.
-My coworker blasted the live billing code assemblies saved in the DB (prior version of the stuff I was working on in the morning). I helped to clean that up and we used that as an excuse to push an update to our client.
-Finished the saved window state for the window I was working on in the morning.
-Browsed Shift518
-I’m about to track down why a bunch of assemblies throw exceptions on startup, then fix themselves, only to do the same thing the next time I start it up.

Released an update to our production mirror site.

Testing a change I made that created a new division/product within our application. This was a pain in the ass because the entire application only assumed ONE division/product so I had to make changes. As soon as you fix the underlying database, the consumers of the data need to be modified.

Fun shit.

Sounds like a PITA.

Not that bad. Just write out only the needed data to a file. When the app starts up next time it checks the file. It is only a PITA for any non-‘standard’ windows. Most of our windows only need an id to a row in the DB and it’ll do the rest.

-Figured out what those exceptions where, result of the my co-workers ‘oops’ earlier.
-More window state saving stuff.

Well our VM’s just died. Nice. Today is gonna be a long rest of the day.

Fun, good luck.

Ended up being caused by the new SAN we installed. Most of the production boxes are now up.

-Watching our term servers crash and burn. There goes getting anything done this afternoon.

Ha. Looks like IT issues are the prevailing ‘work’ today. lol.

geeks

What if the UI/functionality changes, can you make it generic enough where it just works again?

In short, no. But that wasn’t the goal.

All of our forms implement an interface, which forces the way they work. The UI can change, the way we populate the data will not, and that’s what I’m using. The idea wasn’t to implement this for every last window we have, that’s silly. It’s only being done on those heavily used windows. The basic idea is to store a ; delimited list of data as a string. The data can be whatever you want it to be. Then when the application opens back up you handle that string. Any major changes (such as removing or adding stuff to a window) would require us to change the code that creates and handles that string as well. It is not a perfect design by any means, but it works for us since things will not be changing much anymore.

Looked up custom plates for my S4, while making sure the NYS Lottery keeps sales coming in :).

i gutted a fish on my desk, and knocked down a wall of my cubical

Smart man. I’ve seen a lot of applications that have these features changing very often because it’s not done generically or done to a page/form that is fairly static in regards to change.

-Met my shift quota for the day

Shawn, sending you a PM with an off topic question.

today I had LOTS of energy…

I printed off a bunch of pictures for a project I’m doing as a surprise for Paul when he gets home on Friday!

I went to the gym with Linz.

I vacuumed my car out. I wiped EVERYTHING down on the inside of it too.

I did the dishes and a load of laundry.

Now I think I’m going to go get some Valentines day stuff for my sons’ class and cook some dinner… tacos tonight! mmmm!

Later I’m going to work some more on my project and possibly make some cookies!

This makes me wish I could work from home. I could do my laundry in between fixing bugs and doing performance optimizations.

delt with the shit from being broke into -
-cops police report
-saved cctv videos on usb for detective
-welded rebar on windows where dumbasses broke into

delt with work
-300k machine that operates on a water ring pump freezes (yes, water and freezing temperatures dont work well, but hell lets get it done anyway)
-Truck does not have air pressure, PTO wont engage b/c there is no pressure, and cant do shit with it
-workers comp…Fuck you…you didnt hurt yourself at work, and your injury was over a year ago. GTFO
-Billing…Guys jand in your timesheets in your cubby at the end of the day so we can get paid, then you get paid. (what a concept!)
-do i have to hold your hand every step of the day?
-Billing again. Bill out 20k for the day
-Whine ass multimillion dollar customers bitching about bills… Hey this is not unicef, untill they have an industrial environmental company we are the guys to see.
-Fuck you telemarketers who make me drop what im doing to humor you. Suck a dick!