what do u think about this house??

[quote=“AWDrifter,post:14,topic:34119"”]

Hopkins?
Never buy a house on a busy road.
EVER.

[/quote]

The house is in between two really nice sub divisions. It’s pretty quiet.
But there will be a good deal of traffic at those peak hours and Williamsville North is just a mile up the street.

[quote=“JayS,post:20,topic:34119"”]

Don’t forget 8.75% sales tax on 150k is $13125

[/quote]

you don’t pay sales tax on a house…

[quote=“JoesTypeS,post:22,topic:34119"”]

[/quote]

Man… it’s been a while since I bought my house. There is some rather large check you write to Erie County that pissed me off but now I forgot what it was.

[quote=“JoesTypeS,post:22,topic:34119"”]

[/quote]

Truth…but you do have to pay prorated property and school tax.

I think if you do your own remolding, the issues with lead paint/asbestoses can be avoided. I now people that just throw it out in the trash. O well. Why not try to make some money and rent out a room or two? even if you charge 200 a month for everything that’d give you an extra 400 a month to make it easier on you.

There is a tax, I believe it is called a mortage tax or tax stamp or some BS like that.
I can’t remember what it is called but I know my closing was aboot $10,000.

I have some advice take it or leave it.

My grandfather has been in construction for over 52 years and has been a general contractor for over 40. Hes built (from start to finish) probably about 400+ different brand new homes in the southtowns in that time.

Hes told me that with the building codes even from only 35 years ago that he would not suggest buying a house pre-1970 or so. Even with modernization of an older property usually they were poorly insultated if at all, poorly designed, are an electrical mess, and most of the original structure is still intact (joices,rafters,etc) which could lead to being a bad thing in some cases.

I never really understood the older houses being worth more money, the way I see it is the newer the better, but thats just me.

Only thing I can suggest is do your homework and be careful, while that house does look very nice and well kept you never know.

[quote=“AWDrifter,post:26,topic:34119"”]

There is a tax, I believe it is called a mortage tax or tax stamp or some BS like that.
I can’t remember what it is called but I know my closing was aboot $10,000.

[/quote]

Yeah, it’s 1% of mortgage amount, so $1500 in this case. + $75 filing fee, + a few hundred for the title search if I remember right.

[quote=“ultradriver10000,post:25,topic:34119"”]

I think if you do your own remolding, the issues with lead paint/asbestoses can be avoided. I now people that just throw it out in the trash.

[/quote]

Wow…not smart.

If there is asbestos or lead paint, you are better off just leaving it alone if you aren’t going to pay for professional removal. The second you start touching asbestos all that fibrous dust starts flying through the air. If you don’t touch it, then no worries.

It sounds like this house has been insulated with modern materials so they may have taken care of all that stuff already.

I’m with farva.
With todays technology it makes no sense to buy any “used” house.

Side note: my new house does not even have studded walls.:biglaugh:

def. no sales tax on houses - but yeah i messed up on the prop taxes. so its about 400 / month for that… bringing the total up to ~1700. my house is a similar size and the bills range, but typically its around 300 / month. winter a lot more, summer a lot less.

assessments are always significantly less than selling prices of houses… and they’re not exactly based on the sales price.

either way you need to drop a good chunk of change every month to afford this mtg.

[quote=“JayS,post:20,topic:34119"”]

Don’t forget 8.75% sales tax on 150k is $13125. And I wouldn’t expect much room for negotiating price if there isn’t something seriously wrong with that house. It’s already way cheaper than I’d expect for that size house/lot in Williamsville. Hopefully it’s just the location on Hopkins and the age that’s causing the price to be that low.

And 200 for taxes is wrong. 4500/12 = 375. It’s 375 right now based on their current assessment which I can almost guarantee is lower than what the selling price will be. The new assessment will be based on the selling price so the taxes will go up. $300 for bills seems very low too.

That section of Hopkins (between Dodge and W. Klien) is very busy now. With all the expansion going on to the north I can see Hopkins being extended and becoming 4 lanes in 5-10 years to help alleviate the traffic on Transit. You’ve got Millersport feeding a lot of traffic south from all the new rural developments and tons of people working in Amherst/Williamsville. Being able to feed that traffic to Main down a 4 lane Hopkins makes a lot of sense.

[/quote]

Dude…GO FOR IT! If you found a house that you and the mrs both are IN LOVE with,go for it. Hubby and I are working on purchasing a old farm house as well. They are so beautiful. Just make sure you are willing to pay the mortgage for 30+ years and make sure your happy with it. If it’s what you want then get it, don’t start “small”. The way I look at it is,why start small when your gonna end up wanting BIG,why pay for two houses when you found the one you wanted to begin with! Good Luck, and happy house hunting!

[quote=“Farva,post:27,topic:34119"”]

I have some advice take it or leave it.

My grandfather has been in construction for over 52 years and has been a general contractor for over 40. Hes built (from start to finish) probably about 400+ different brand new homes in the southtowns in that time.

Hes told me that with the building codes even from only 35 years ago that he would not suggest buying a house pre-1970 or so. Even with modernization of an older property usually they were poorly insultated if at all, poorly designed, are an electrical mess, and most of the original structure is still intact (joices,rafters,etc) which could lead to being a bad thing in some cases.

I never really understood the older houses being worth more money, the way I see it is the newer the better, but thats just me.

Only thing I can suggest is do your homework and be careful, while that house does look very nice and well kept you never know.

[/quote]

:word: Ive heard much of the same. My father did some contruction work back in the day and still has many friends who do it today and they would generally say the same thing. But as others have already said, if youre really interested then have a housing inspector come and take a good close look and they can tell you just how good or bad shape its in. It looks nicely updated from teh pictures, but who knows how good or bad shape the guts of the house are in. :gotme:

If it was up to me I would just say build new FTW but for me its a no brainer since i have many hook ups lined up for when i plan to do so. Good luck with your hunt regardless. :tup:

house that increases in value > nice cars that depreciate and blow up :stuck_out_tongue:

assessments go to selling price usually when you sell a house, so expect your assessed value to be whatever you buy the house for.

[quote=“87FOXGT,post:33,topic:34119"”]

:word: Ive heard much of the same. My father did some contruction work back in the day and still has many friends who do it today and they would generally say the same thing. But as others have already said, if youre really interested then have a housing inspector come and take a good close look and they can tell you just how good or bad shape its in. It looks nicely updated from teh pictures, but who knows how good or bad shape the guts of the house are in. :gotme:

If it was up to me I would just say build new FTW but for me its a no brainer since i have many hook ups lined up for when i plan to do so. Good luck with your hunt regardless. :tup:

house that increases in value > nice cars that depreciate and blow up :stuck_out_tongue:

[/quote]

I would love to build new. However, the price is what keeps me looking at used. The houses I am looking at go for about $95-$105 per sq.ft. Depending on the materials you use a new house can be $125+ per sq.ft. Thats a shit ton of money when you multiply it by a 2000 sq.ft. house.

[quote=“badazzss,post:31,topic:34119"”]

assessments are always significantly less than selling prices of houses… and they’re not exactly based on the sales price.

[/quote]

Not in Williamsville. When a house sells, selling price = the new assessment. Happened when I bought mine and as happened to the 3 others that have sold on my street in the past 5 years.

Think about it. What better way to assess what a property is worth than look at what it just sold for. The biggest thing the assessor uses when determining a propertie’s assessed value is what similar houses in the area are selling for. In the case of a house that just sold he doesn’t have to look at similar properties and estimate because he knows EXACTLY what it was worth.

[quote=“JaysGreenLX,post:35,topic:34119"”]

I would love to build new. However, the price is what keeps me looking at used. The houses I am looking at go for about $95-$105 per sq.ft. Depending on the materials you use a new house can be $125+ per sq.ft. Thats a shit ton of money when you multiply it by a 2000 sq.ft. house.

[/quote]

I guess it depends on your priorities (like anything).
If square footage is what you want then a new house may not the right thing for you.
I built a new house because I am looking to the future and what my house will be worth down the road as well.
My theory is that my house will be worth MUCH more than a “common” house built years before it with old technology.
I have got a lot invested so, I hope I am right.:ohnoes:

[quote=“AWDrifter,post:37,topic:34119"”]

I guess it depends on your priorities (like anything).
If square footage is what you want then a new house may not the right thing for you.
I built a new house because I am looking to the future and what my house will be worth down the road as well.
My theory is that my house will be worth MUCH more than a “common” house built years before it with old technology.
I have got a lot invested so, I hope I am right.:ohnoes:

[/quote]

I think youre right, and i have the same outlook, though im sure i wont have nearly as much to invest in to mine as you have in yours :smiley:

walking outside to get to your car during winter is like this :barf: !connected garage ftw!

[quote=“forthekicks385,post:39,topic:34119"”]

walking outside to get to your car during winter is like this :barf: !connected garage ftw!

[/quote]

yeah but most of our garages don’t have 6 bays and 1,000,000 worth of cars in them.