what do u think about this house??

[quote=“Xander,post:78,topic:34119"”]

WWII and late 1800’s are a long way’s apart. I agree that after 1945 there are not a lot of nice buildings were put up in this area, however from 1880-1930’s are about 50 years of some great Architecture in the area.

X…

[/quote]

that is all considered the same era of design though, and even though the number put up in WNY vs many other cities are lacking.

[quote=“krunklestilskin,post:80,topic:34119"”]

the darwin martin house

[/quote]

that was one of Wrights, admitted by himself, worse designs. Plus compared to some of the buildings he did in forest park, it is extremely blan. and it was built in 1909, the same period that I was talking about

[quote=“66impalass,post:81,topic:34119"”]

that is all considered the same era of design though

[/quote]

Sure, any of the Wright stuff is the same as Arts and Crafts is the same as Craftsman style, etc. :roll:

X…

[quote=“Xander,post:82,topic:34119"”]

Sure, any of the Wright stuff is the same as Arts and Crafts is the same as Craftsman style, etc. :roll:

X…

[/quote]

I am trying figure out if you are being sarcastic.
I am pretty sure you are but in case you aren’t, they are not the same.

[quote=“AWDrifter,post:83,topic:34119"”]

I am trying figure out if you are being sarcastic.
I am pretty sure you are but in case you aren’t, they are not the same.

[/quote]

:wink:

x…

P.S. I might have gone to school for this shit.

http://hipcolo.wzrd.com/homepics/290914.000

Saw that one for sale when heading over to check out my neighbors new build.

I’d take that over one of your “lets take 4 shipping containers, stack them at funny angles and paint them bright colors” pre-fabs any day.

FWIW, local house built after WWII

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/x_iliohan/Groutoverview.jpg

X…

^ kinda looks like a Wright house.
http://purecontemporary.blogs.com/behind_the_curtains/images/300pxdarwin_martin_house__2004_2.jpg

[quote=“Xander,post:84,topic:34119"”]

:wink:

x…

P.S. I might have gone to school for this shit.

[/quote]

I had a feeling, most people wouldn’t know the difference.

[quote=“JayS,post:85,topic:34119"”]

Saw that one for sale when heading over to check out my neighbors new build.

I’d take that over one of your “lets take 4 shipping containers, stack them at funny angles and paint them bright colors” pre-fabs any day.

[/quote]

sweet a mchouse, sub par construction, built for the lowest cost, sell for the highest cause its a larger square footage than average

[quote=“Xander,post:86,topic:34119"”]

FWIW, local house built after WWII

X…

[/quote]

Looks like a nice follow the mold build.

[quote=“66impalass,post:81,topic:34119"”]

that is all considered the same era of design though, and even though the number put up in WNY vs many other cities are lacking.

that was one of Wrights, admitted by himself, worse designs. Plus compared to some of the buildings he did in forest park, it is extremely blan. and it was built in 1909, the same period that I was talking about

[/quote]

The Darwin Martin House was actually considered to be one of wrights masterpieces, his finest example of prairie style architecture.

WNY has one of the greatest collections of significant architecture in the country, period.

[quote=“JayS,post:72,topic:34119"”]

From Cali to Montana huh?

So where ever hippies are found, ugly storage container looking houses are not far behind? :wink:

Luckily here in WNY those who are hippies are generally also penniless, so they don’t influence architectural design. :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Different does not mean bad…

There is some really cool prefab stuff out there, but it is costly and the flat roofs don’t cater to this snowbelt region so well.

I personally think that most of the capes, vinyl victorians, colonials are all ugly as sin, as well as 99% of all new builds in this area.

I don’t understand paying a shitload for square footage in a house that was built in a week. Most of the newer “developer” houses in this area that I have been in are garbage. The best are the brick/stone/cedar facades with the vinyl sides/rear on a 300-500k house… LOL

I know several people with Ryan homes that are falling apart after 3-4 years.

[quote=“JaysGreenLX,post:87,topic:34119"”]

^ kinda looks like a Wright house.

[/quote]

It is a Wright house, privately owned.

X…

This thread makes me want to post pictures of my house but I think I will wait until it is done.
It has been 9 months so far I am hoping to be done in another month or two.
(It is not a Ryan/Marrano/Patrick/Barden type cookie cutter POS.)

you know that someone was murdered in that house on Hopkins right?

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/JeremyPerkins/CourtFiles/2003-09-29-yerneni.html

[quote=“Xander,post:93,topic:34119"”]

It is a Wright house, privately owned.

X…

[/quote]

Ah very good. I love the stuff he designed. Very much ahead of his time.

[quote=“GSTairs,post:95,topic:34119"”]

[/quote]

stay away that shits haunted:jawdrop:

[quote=“GSTairs,post:95,topic:34119"”]

[/quote]

Holy shit. Now we know why it’s below market value.

Paula Bruski (mother’s friend) stated, “Sometime between 9:30 and 10:00 am I called Elli on the phone at her home at 1435 Hopkins Road in Amherst. Ellie said to me that she was just thinking about me. Her husband Don was home and she was talking to me while she was talking to him. Ellie said, ‘Don had stopped back home because he forgot his wallet.’ A short time into our conversation I heard Ellie say something that indicated to me that Don was leaving the house. Ellie was talking to me about her next-door neighbor Charon Epstein. Ellie told me Charon had knee surgery. Ellie was telling me that she was going to try to get her son Jeremy to take his vitamins, but that Jeremy was giving her a hard time and putting the vitamins in his pocket. Ellie was talking about Jeremy giving her a hard time about taking a shower this morning. Ellie told me she was going to check on Jeremy, and she was away from the phone for a minute or two. When she came back to the phone, Ellie said Jeremy was walking around with a razor or razor blade. She said she should get that away from Jeremy. I heard Ellie say to Jeremy that he should wait and that she would get him a razor so that he could shave. I told Ellie that I would hang on the phone. When Ellie left the phone, I heard her say, ‘No, Jeremy, No, no, no.’ I didn’t hear anything else over the phone. When Ellie did not come back to the phone in a minute or two, I tried to hang up to call for help. When I got a dial tone, I called Jeff Carlson, who is Ellie’s son-in-law. I then called Ellie’s next-door neighbor, Charon Epstein.”

It’s actually a really good and safe area. You’re paying for the area, but the taxes will kill ya. 14221 is an expensive zip code my friend. And it will never go down.

EDIT: Oh and good luck with that whole haunted shit. I’d personaly want to know the “ghost” and fuck with people. But hey, one step at a time.

well, i just got back from looking at the house. Its not as great as it seemed. Plus now i find out that someone was murdered there, and i cant help but to feel grossed out i was even in there. Soooo, big :tdown: and they realy should inform people about the houses past.