What helps you with Public Speaking? UPDATE POST 28

I gave a presentation today about my media analysis paper, and I honestly fucking hate public speaking. I don’t know what it is, or why I’m affected by it so much, but I just can’t do it comfortably. I start out strong and by the end of it the wheels fall off and I can barely finish words.

Not sure why, I’m not afraid to get up and bullshit in front of people but when it comes to an organized presentation, it destroys me.

Anyone have any tips on what they do to help them give a presentation? And don’t say picture everyone naked, if you saw my class, you would know why I didn’t try that.

I am the exact same way, yesterday I had to participate in a debate which turned into a complete embarrassment.

Any tips would be very helpful as my senior thesis presentation is quickly approaching :meh:

I’ve tried making eye contact, using note cards, looking straight ahead but nothing works.

I always try to have a little interaction. Talking at people sucks.

Otherwise it just takes practice to desensitize yourself to it I guess.

A buddy of mine is one of the most outgoing and talkative people I’ve ever met, center of attention type. I gave a presentation with him last year and it turns out he clams up speaking to an audience. Start. Stop. English words sputtering out in no particular order. Eek.

Also, I always focus on having good breath support. (Keep your lungs full.) It keeps your mind occupied and you relaxed. People always forget to breathe when they’re in front of an audience, then their voice starts to sound all shaky and scared.

And picture zong naked.

Just do it more often.

Ask questions in your class aloud in front of others…

Try not to ramble too bad…

I hate doing this as well…

i took it in high school, and always got nervous as balls speaking in front of a group of people. but now for some reason it dont really bug me :gotme:

i guess u just get used to it in some cases, in my case i do it at work all the time.

The only way to get comfortable with it is just doing it a lot. Even if you’re nervous as hell, act like you are a confident sob, and that fake confidence turns into the real deal.

I feel like this is the only real solution for me. I talk during class all the time and participate a lot, but like I said, it’s the organization of getting in front of people that kills me.

That didn’t work either. :frowning:

I used to be fine, until my first portfolio review my freshman year, I froze up for no reason mid presentation.

I always forget to breath, thanks for the tip Fry. I never understood when my voice got all crackly.

I took a public speaking class while I was in college. I have a CIS degree but if you look at my transcripts you might think I was going to a minor in communications (if only Buffalo State had offered such a thing).

I was never comfortable with public speaking so I took the classes to basically, “get over it”. Looking back it was one of the best things I took away from college.

^I’m considering doing the same thing. It’s a very useful tool in life.

take a bunch of acid.

Haha, I seriously considered taking a few shots of vodka before class. I should have.

Pretend you in Dubai naked.

that would work,the director of lord of the flies fed the kids booze so they weren’t so nervous in front of the cameras…
dont ask me how i know this

Breathing. Take slow deep breaths. Focus on the agenda and do not let your mind wander. If you tend to talk fast slow down your speech. Speak clearly and concisely. Having an outline to guide you helps as well.

the breathing thing really helps. take your time when you speak. don’t try to just rush it. enunciate.

a really important thing is to know the material inside and out… understand it. that way you are not trying to remember a strict script, and if you get stuck, it’s easier to wing it.

im not comfortable doing it either, but in later years i’ve been better about it. preparation is key, but on the same token, you need to go into it like its no big deal. the worst thing is to dread it and keep coming up with bad scenarios in your head, because it will just make you more nervous. go up there like it ain’t no thang, and you can’t wait to watch the game later… and it’s over before you know it

I have no issues speaking to small or large groups about random things, but when it is about a particular issue - feeling confident is the most important thing.

I don’t know what makes you feel confident, but if I was giving a presentation for our IT budget for the next 3 years in front of 100 really wealthy people that invest with us, I’d need to study and make sure I know how everything works before I go into that presentation.

As with dealing with getting up there - I would kinda first start slow, not focus on anyone in the crowd. Then, look around - and see how they are reacting.

I can’t stress enough how important. Job interviews, company meetings, dealing with clients, convincing fellow employees your solution to a problem is the right one… the list goes on and on. Just use COM classes to fill up some of your electives.

btw, if you think school presentations are bad, try going in front of a room of firemen trying to sell them a firetruck, and having them DRILL you about the product, hoping you screw up…and it will happen. you can bet your ass an experienced fireman will know more about your firetruck than you do trying to remember a book full of 80,000 options. THAT makes you just want to crawl into a corner :frowning:

Yep. Funny how after 4 painful years of engineering school, a fluff class (EAS480 technical communication for Engineers) was one of the most useful.