what i got in the mail today

So what exactly all did you need to get certified?

graduate from a college with a secondary edu. major and a minor in a subject (i was math) then take the state PRAXIS tests. there are 3 (i think 4 now) pre praxis like math,reading,writing tests kinda like the SAT’s then you have to student teach (internship) then you have the actual PRAXIS in your field that you have to take. that one was 150 questions i believe. once you get that then you can send in to get your certifications. once you have your cert. you have to get your clearences. child abuse,criminal history, TB test then you can start applying at schools. only took me 7 years :slight_smile: 4.5 in school and 2.5 procrastinating.

Congrats on passing the praxis because they are hard:) … however PA EDUCATOR is where you have to put your resume because if a school says pa educator they throw your entire resume packet away when you send it. Few schools accept applications anymore so get your stuff asap on PA Educator it is a big pain but if you need help let me know! NOw is when they will be looking for teachers.

yeah thats where im puttin it on. just have to do the essay and update my resume. but to get a sub. possition i have to turn all the crap into each school. i would like to atleast get a sub position next year for a year… then get into a school that i want.

i would rather suffer for 2 years. and be happy for 30+

I give you 2 years before you show up on the news for dating high school girls. j/k

I’ll add another $.02 on this matter just as a heads up. My Dad is certified to teach in PA. He did his internship at Blackhawk school district and ended up taking a 1/2 year paid when the real teacher took a sebatical the following year. I’m not too clear on the details of his career following that, but he ended up starting a restaurant business after that and left teaching. This didn’t pan out as he hoped and many years later he went back into teaching. he subbed for a few years at New Brighton and was well liked by the staff (but hated by the students). In his 5th or 6th year subbing their social studies teacher passed away and he was asked to step in for the rest of the year (about 3/4 of it). So he did and everyone agreed that he was doing well (except the students, who only griped because he is strict). Being assured it was a formality, they put an ad in the paper for a teacher to take the position at the end of the year and he put in an official application and jumped through the hoops. Everyone assumed he would take over the job. When the final council meeting was taken place he was excited to finally have a full time teaching job in his field almost 15 years after he graduated. When the official announcement was made as to who was taking his place, it came about that it was one of the school boards nephews that got hired, WITH NO EXPERIENCE! Straight out of school this kid got hired over my Dad. He stood up in the middle of the meeting and told the school board to fuck off and left.

Now he works in a zinc mill… :frowning:

What if your Bachelor’s degree is not in education, but you pass all the Praxis exams?

wholy negative…wtf

congrats mac!!! shoot for all kinda of schools!! send its like jeff said

you can get a teaching certificate which takes 1 year or opt for for a masters degree in education which takes 2years at pitt.