what is the best engine for performance???

i’m amazed at hayabusa’s with turbos making 500+ whp. thats only like 1.3 liters or something.

shifter go cars making 30-50hp with tiny little motors and goin over 100mph.

And those junior dragsters running quicker 1/8mile times than me…thats just sick for a little motor like that to make somethign that fast. haha

Big Block chevy
mine is being built as we speak!!

Welll…
4G63s are cheap to obtain and modify, but don’t have the potential of some others
2JZs can handle mad boost
RB26s can also handle mad boost
LSx motors are easy to find, great power for such an antiquated pushrod design, plenty of aftermarket support
427 side oilers are cool too, to some people

How can anyone be forced to choose which is “best”?

That’s like asking what girl has the best pictures on the internet.

All engines>this thread

The Suzuki G10>*

The best engine is probably the hemi.

the vega 4 cyl. It was very reliable, too. :smiley:

Here is my list of 10 great motors:

1 Gen1 small block chevy 265ci up to 472ci - seriuosly supported by the aftermarket & make BIG power for little money. (Gimme an all aluminum 650-700 horse 472 ci small block, painted chevy orange & installed into a stock looking '67 Nova with a 6 speed and dog dish hubcaps for the sleeper look. I’ll just tell everyone that it is a measly little 327 with a bigger cam in it and that’s why it idles roughly)

2 MarkIV & up big block chevy 366-472ci - same as above, yet much more money involved
3 Chrysler 413/426/440 (RB series) - pretty much bullet proof & can make BIG power
4 GM LSx series small block - innovation at it’s finest - horsepower, torque, efficiency, durability, etc., if money is not an object.
5 Chrysler 426 Hemi - the basis of all top fuel motors
6 Pontiac 400/421/428/455 - lots of torque, & not too tough to make alot of horsepower
7 Buick 455 - more stock torque than most all factory motors
8 Ford 289/302 small block - can make great power, but costs more money than most to do so
9 Ford 4.6L/5.4L Mod motor - decent power & smooth. Very well engineered. Available in 2, 3, & 4 valve flavors
10 Chevrolet LT5 5.7L - 405 hp almost 20 years ago from an all aluminum 350ci 4 cam, 32 valve motor. Technical marvel. Just don’t ask me to change the alternator or starter on one again.

3rd GM vs. Ford pissing match this week. :bowrofl:

I vote Terminator.

i vote who gives a fuck. lol

seriously the true hemispherical head is the best for performance. bad for emissions however

I’ve read before that optimum acceleration engines have a 1.8:1 to 1.85:1 rod/stroke ratio. So that’s something to think about

hemi heads are old design, good for the times but not by todays stuff…we have much better designs today for better combustion and power

Interesting . . .

http://wardsauto.com/reports/2007/tenbest/

More from a consumer standpoint, not necessarily from a performance minded standpoint.

I would have to say 2JZ, not many motors can handle that kinda HP on the stock bottom end, im a bit biast tho :wink: . The 03 cobra motor is pretty sick also, those cars run. Im also a big LSX fan.

Boom

I just had a lemon :slight_smile: I dont know why it popped… im guessing a rod bolt by looking at it, but I dont know enough to honestly figure out what happend.

I got another one sitting on a motor stand right now… finally…

Someone made 600awhp on a bone stock DSM 6-bolt block.

Bang for the buck, 4G63’s are pretty cheap to go fast in.

That being said, I sold my 4G63 for an LS1 :rofl:

lamest thread ever. honestly…

out of any of the dyno’ing we’ve done though… the 03 cobra motors impress me the most.

You know you like the blue road runner!

this thread was obviously started in an attempt to start an argument

The best engine for performance would not be the ls-1. Great engine not the best.

Best is a broad range, best at what. a 426 hemi based top fuel engine makes 8000 horsepower but burns 60 gallons of fuel a mile. A formula one engine makes great horsepower per liter. An IHRA pro stock motor makes 1700 horse naturally aspirated.

As far as regular motors for an enthusiast car, there is more potential in the old school chevy small block based engines than in the ls-1 and there is more potential in the windsor fords than in the new modular engines.

but anymore pretty much anything can go fast. how much do you want to spend. there are cobalt fwd drag cars in what, the low 7s now. that pretty much sums it up that ANYTHING can go fast anymore.

what? the wedge? lol