What plates do you use? When importing from US

Anyone who has done this before - can you shed some light on this? I have notified the border and will have all the ppwk but not sure how to go about the plates. Will MO issue temp plates without actual ownership?

When I imported a car I ran into this same issue.

I couldn’t get plates in Michigan because I don’t have an MI driver’s license so I ended up going down one weekend, buying the car and taking the paperwork then getting a temp plate when I was home during the week and going the next weekend.

I have heard from an officer that you have 6 days from date of purchase to use any plates registered to a vehicle in your name with a valid sticker and that is legal. I haven’t looked this up so it may not be true.

Worst case, you’re in for a $110 ticket for using incorrect plates. Not a huge expense in the grand scheme of things.

What plates did you use driving the car back from MI? I’m actually going to MI as well this Saturday lol

I had the dealer get me a temporary 10-day permit when I got my car from Georgia (2 years ago). It was just a reflective sticker that I put on the back bumper where a real plate is supposed to be. Drove it across the border, wasn’t stopped in the US or Canada. The border guard at the booth and the RIV office didn’t say anything either. If it is a private sale, you could probably have them get you a permit, if they are willing. I wasn’t able to find too much info on this back when I looked. This is just what I did.

I drove back with the old style Ontario temp permit, the window sticker one. But I’m fairly sure you’ll need the ownership to get one.