What the F*** Schmitts?!

The owners manual of each AWD car I’ve owned specifically states that when replacing tires, that you must replace all 4 tires with ones of the same tread pattern and depth, and traction variables.

I doubt Audi’s are different.

blah … they first tell me its reccommended to replace them in pairs or all 4, but its not a necessity. then when i tell them the deal they say replacing one is just fine. BS Audi!!

[quote=“bracketracer,post:18,topic:35190"”]

1.6 miles away from them.

[/quote]

THAT IS AWESOME!!! :lol::tup:

I am sure I will be a customer soon.

[quote=“bracketracer,post:20,topic:35190"”]

If you have a Torsen (not Haldex) center diff, and the circumferences of the tires are considerably different, meaning 1 new tire and 3 50% worn tires, then you need all 4.

[/quote]

Can they tell me this by looking it up?

(this is an '01 S4 if it matters)

FYI one worn tire on a drive wheel and one brand new one will usually cause a pull to the one side… ive had issues with that

The DMV licenses repair shops and dealerships. Complaints can get repair shops and dealerships shut down for investigation. Repair shops and dealerships don’t like to be shut down.

^^ oh dont worry … i will be talking to them on friday

go take a look at your car…maybe they diddnt really mess it up and just want to joy ride for a day or so…Toronto trip anyone!!!

[quote=“Griff,post:24,topic:35190"”]

Can they tell me this by looking it up?

(this is an '01 S4 if it matters)

[/quote]

If it’s an S4, you definitely have Torsen. Haldex is a TT/A3 item only right now, if I’m not mistaken.

I can try to find some documentation about the tire issue and how it affects the diff, if you’d like.

that would be awesome. i’m heading down there at 4 … so if you can find anything by then (doubtful but that would be awesome) … or even more tomorrow i could go back.

i have said it before and i will say it again. if that place burnt down, i would have a party at my house and everyone would be invited. f that place

jason, i know there is pdf on the system somewhere on the interweb. it has been posted numerous times on audiworld. so it def exists

[quote=“audios,post:31,topic:35190"”]

i have said it before and i will say it again. if that place burnt down, i would have a party at my house and everyone would be invited. f that place

[/quote]

Sweet. I’m going to throw a mazel tov cocktail at it.

[quote=“Griff,post:30,topic:35190"”]

that would be awesome. i’m heading down there at 4 … so if you can find anything by then (doubtful but that would be awesome) … or even more tomorrow i could go back.

[/quote]

check your owners manual:

From the 2001 B5 owner’s manual (for quattro cars):

“All four wheels must always have the same rolling radius. Different tires on the front and rear wheels may impair vehicle control and will damage the All Wheel Drive because of the constantly different wheel speeds. The proper function of the system is not affected by unevenly worn tires.” (page 177)

GREAT! that will help me a ton now. thanks. where is your shop by the way, i’m going to you from now on :slight_smile:

[quote=“Griff,post:35,topic:35190"”]

GREAT! that will help me a ton now. thanks. where is your shop by the way, i’m going to you from now on :slight_smile:

[/quote]

No problem and here’s the shop information:
http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36796

and i got shit.

the wheel is fine, they cut the sidewall on the lift edge. they should have a tire tomorrow, but they wont know until morning. They said there is no problem replacing just one, and they said its only recommended to change all 4 and not mandatory.

complete bull shit!

make sure they document on the receipt (tell them to write on the order) that they advised you replacing one tire was fine

then go out and do EVERYTHING IN YOUR POWER to blow the diff, then bring it back to them and say “you said this, now replace EVERYTHING”

ha!

[quote=“JDMR2,post:38,topic:35190"”]

make sure they document on the receipt (tell them to write on the order) that they advised you replacing one tire was fine

then go out and do EVERYTHING IN YOUR POWER to blow the diff, then bring it back to them and say “you said this, now replace EVERYTHING”

[/quote]

and after reading this say in your head

mu mu hou hou hahahahahahahhaha